Question Power supply

lrot123

Prominent
Jan 1, 2019
Hello, I have a GTX 1060, AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, and 16GB of ram 2400MHZ. I have a 400 PSU and in task manager it says power usage is VERY HIGH. Does that mean I need to upgrade it? Thanks.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's a little low, but within acceptable ranges for such a powerful cpu.

I'm afraid to ask, but what 750w psu? As Dark Lord said, a good quality 550w is way more than plenty for that setup, 750w is more along the lines of a massively overclocked 2700x and RTX2080ti. But some vendors are quite unethical and will sell a junk 750w that I'd not use to power a table lamp.

lrot123

Prominent
Jan 1, 2019
That's a little low, but within acceptable ranges for such a powerful cpu.

I'm afraid to ask, but what 750w psu? As Dark Lord said, a good quality 550w is way more than plenty for that setup, 750w is more along the lines of a massively overclocked 2700x and RTX2080ti. But some vendors are quite unethical and will sell a junk 750w that I'd not use to power a table lamp.
I got this PSU. https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-...locphy=200511&hvtargid=pla-648063737034&psc=1

So do you think that CPU will be fine for me? And will it increase the GPU and CPU usage as well. Also if it does not how do I increase it?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's OK. Normally the TT Smart series isn't considered a gaming rated psu, but that one is large enough to take the hit.

Having a decent psu isn't going to help increase usage. Usage itself is highly misleading as ppl see the number and come to the wrong conclusions about it. The cpu/gpu are always working at 100%, in everything they do (or should be). But things like game code have gaps in the code, only might require using 3 threads out of 6 etc. So while the cpu is kicking that code through at 100% ability, the code itself only requires 40% of the cpu to do it.

Imagine swatting a fly. You are gonna swing your hand with every ounce of speed and energy you have, as fast as you can possibly swat it. But you won't use every available ounce of strength to do so, or you'd put your hand through the wall or break something. Same theory. Usage is the amount of cpu necessary to be used, not how hard a cpu is working.

It simply means that both the cpu and gpu can handle something harder to deal with that requires more resources. It's entirely possible to bog down a cpu that shows 50% usage, because all 3 cores used are at 100% ability+, and the code won't use 4 cores for overflow

lrot123

Prominent
Jan 1, 2019
It's OK. Normally the TT Smart series isn't considered a gaming rated psu, but that one is large enough to take the hit.

Having a decent psu isn't going to help increase usage. Usage itself is highly misleading as ppl see the number and come to the wrong conclusions about it. The cpu/gpu are always working at 100%, in everything they do (or should be). But things like game code have gaps in the code, only might require using 3 threads out of 6 etc. So while the cpu is kicking that code through at 100% ability, the code itself only requires 40% of the cpu to do it.

Imagine swatting a fly. You are gonna swing your hand with every ounce of speed and energy you have, as fast as you can possibly swat it. But you won't use every available ounce of strength to do so, or you'd put your hand through the wall or break something. Same theory. Usage is the amount of cpu necessary to be used, not how hard a cpu is working.

It simply means that both the cpu and gpu can handle something harder to deal with that requires more resources. It's entirely possible to bog down a cpu that shows 50% usage, because all 3 cores used are at 100% ability+, and the code won't use 4 cores for overflow
Ok. So I play fortnite, is there a way to increase the usage? Possibly allocate more threads or something like that? Because I drop below 144 FPS at times. Also what was the point in me getting a new PSU or was there none?