Power Supply

calumks

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Hello, I currently have a 750w Corsair PSU.

My pc specs are:
2 140mm fans
Intel Core i7 Processor with default fan
GTX 580
16 GB ram
2 SSDs
2 HDDs

I am planning on adding a few more case fans, a high performance CPU fan and another GTX 580. I don't plan on overclocking anything and don't want to do water cooling.

Do I need to upgrade my PSU or is 750w enough?

kitsunestarwind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
That calculator is pretty bad, it gets power consumption of my PC at 100% load at 864watts, when real world power consumption is only is nearly 200watts lower (measure by wall socket meter)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If you have a Kill-O-Watt between your PC and the electrical outlet, then you can see the amount of power the system is drawing. In fact, it will be somewhat less on the load side of the PSU than on the Line side of the PSU by a factor of about 20% due to power factor loss from inductive and capacitive reactance, etc. So if your meter is showing 200W, your PC is probably only using 160W. (rough estimate)

Check it when you are stressing your graphics card or CPU. Like when running Prime95 or Furmark.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

LOL! You may be right. They do look extremely similar now that I examine them. But, I just plugged the values of my system in and got 755W at Extreme and 750W at Thermaltake. If you're right, I wonder why they aren't the same results? Maybe one had its algorithm updated.

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
You could just measure it by doing it the old fashioned way. Manually adding them up. If you don't trust one of those you could just use some web searching and a calculator.