Question Power surge broke ethernet port in the wall?

Feb 20, 2023
We had a power surge yesterday and my pc was connected through an ethernet cable to a port on the wall, when the power came back on the port on the wall stopped working. Checked the router and saw that we still had wifi and that if I connected the ethernet cable through the router itself it was still working. Checked other ports in other rooms and they didn't work. Bought a new ethernet cable to check and it still didn't. Tried looking online if anyone encountered anything similar but had no success. Any advice is appreciated.

kanewolf

Titan
We had a power surge yesterday and my pc was connected through an ethernet cable to a port on the wall, when the power came back on the port on the wall stopped working. Checked the router and saw that we still had wifi and that if I connected the ethernet cable through the router itself it was still working. Checked other ports in other rooms and they didn't work. Bought a new ethernet cable to check and it still didn't. Tried looking online if anyone encountered anything similar but had no success. Any advice is appreciated.
Anything is possible. With in-wall cabling the best thing to do is to get a simple cable tester -- https://www.amazon.com/Klein-VDV526-052-Scout-Junior-Tester/dp/B004CI9NRM
A tester will allow you to verify the cable goes where you think it does, and to verify all 8 wires have continuity.

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019

Something sounds off. You feed the wall [one port] with an ethernet cable from a router and it then feeds multiple devices in other rooms and none of them work, correct? This sounds like you have a switch in another location that needs to be checked maybe a smart panel that likley had a GFC outlet trip and is thus unpowered?

Reactions: Viking2121

kanewolf

Titan
Yeah im going to have to agree with @Wacabletech06 with the info we got, there's a switch somewhere if you only have 1 cable from the router to the wall and multiple Ethernet locations, gonna have to find it, see if it needs a reboot or replaced.
I would agree IF there had been an explicit statement that the other room ports had been functional. It was unclear at best. Having ports, vs having working ports was never explicitly stated.

Feb 20, 2023
Another pc was connected to a wall port in another room and it was working prior to whatever happened. I was talking to my wife about it and she said that she wasn't sure if it was a power surge or an outlet trip. She said that she reset the switch on the circuit breaker because the power in the entire second floor went out. After she reset it everything went back to normal except the ethernet ports on the walls stopped working.

kanewolf

Titan
Another pc was connected to a wall port in another room and it was working prior to whatever happened. I was talking to my wife about it and she said that she wasn't sure if it was a power surge or an outlet trip. She said that she reset the switch on the circuit breaker because the power in the entire second floor went out. After she reset it everything went back to normal except the ethernet ports on the walls stopped working.
This does sound like an ethernet switch that is off or has failed. You need to find the other end of these in-wall cables.