Power surge detected problem

_Epix_

Reputable
May 7, 2014
Hey, my HTPC has been having this problem.

Specs

CPU- G3258
Mobo- Asus H97M-plus
PSU: Corsair RM650

The PC would just shut down and after I power it on again it states that power surge was detected. What can I do to solve this problem? Thanks in advance :D

Try a different outlet in your place of residence. Does it work fine? You may have a power problem with a particular circuit. If so, you'd need to call an electrician to fix this problem.

One thing that's always good to do is to get a battery backup unit that conditions the power prior to feeding it to the PC. This way you protect your PC by always feeding it good, clean power.

InvalidError

Titan
Asus Anti-Surge warnings are due to something causing the power supply outputs to exceed what Asus considers safe limits.

There are three possible causes:
- defective power supply
- defective device causing surges by dumping load, usually the GPU
- defective/out of tolerance Anti-Surge thresholds

_Epix_

Reputable
May 7, 2014

I do not have a GPU for the PC, so either defective PSU or outlet problems. I'll try to run it off another outlet.

I got the RM650 new, I purchased it a few months ago. And yea a UPS is really expensive.

InvalidError

Titan
Since anti-surge warnings are about the voltage on the 3.3/5/12V outputs, it is unlikely that using a different outlet or adding a UPS will make any difference.

The only way I can imagine this happening is if an defective external self-powered device was dumping current through its PC connection and that current was ending up on one of the power rails.

InvalidError

Titan
Short of having access to an oscilloscope to look at exactly what is happening on the supply rails, you have two other options:
1- hope that the Anti-Surge warnings are false positives and disable Anti-Surge in the BIOS
2- try a different PSU of adequate power rating and decent quality. Since you currently have no GPU, you could easily make-do with something like an Antec VP450 which you should be able to find for $40, possibly less

Or possibly three:
3- try disabling CPU C6 state somewhere under the Power options if it is still enabled. Since you have no GPU to help load the PSU down, the PSU might be having a hard time with transients under very light load. You actually might want to try this first.