Power surge detected

username455

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
hello,
I just completed my new build but get the warning about a power surge being detected and asus enters anti-surge mode.

here is my build:
asus maximus viii hero
i7 6700k
evga gtx 1080
evga 650w supernova p2 (swapped out with evga 850w supernova g2)
corsair 750d case

This happened with my very first power up, and occurs every time I turn the computer on from a cold start. When I restart the computer, it boots just fine. I have not overclocked yet, but playing games and general computer use have not had any issues. So far, all I can tell is I can not turn on my computer in the morning without getting this warning.

I swapped out my 650w psu for the 850w psu (both brand new) and got the exact same error message when first powering on my system. The only other weird thing I notice is that there is at least a 1 second delay between pressing the power button on my case and the computer actually turning on. So I was wondering.. do i have TWO bad PSUs, an overly sensitive motherboard, or could the front IO be the culprit?

thanks for the assistance!

Solution

You could probably do both. ASUS maybe able to tell you if there have been other issues of that sort with the MOBO. With it happening with two different PSU.s though, I would say that it is unlikely there is a surge.
If you are getting it with two different PSUs, then I would have to rule them out as that would be highly unlikely to get two bad PSUs. I'm think maybe a motherboard issue and an erroneous message, so probably no threat to the components. Maybe the Front I/O, but not real sure about that. It does fine on the restart. Caps hold power and i am thinking it could maybe be an issue wit the the caps on the motherboard.

username455

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
so do you think I should just disable Asus' power surge warning in the bios (which I saw recommended in other threads regarding this error) or contact asus about a replacement motherboard?

You could probably do both. ASUS maybe able to tell you if there have been other issues of that sort with the MOBO. With it happening with two different PSU.s though, I would say that it is unlikely there is a surge.

Solution