Sep 18, 2019
Ok so this is my first thread so sorry for any mistakes and for my bad grammar.

So I have completed my first build. For PSU I chosen Corsair vs550 550w 80 plus bronze. Last night after playing some games and stuff I shut down my rig, turned off the PSU switch then turned off the ups and finally switched off the main socket where ups was plugged in. Ten seconds later my brother was messing around so he just pressed the power button of the rig and I was there and I saw the system got powered on for couple of seconds. I saw all 3 led fans brighten up and rotating. It scared me out but then I let go of it and slept anyway.
Today when I booted up the system, windows informs me of a "system failure"(because of the failed boot due to that power surge?).
Fortunately I got Asus motherboard with surge protection but I am worried about the graphic card, hard drive and ssd. So my questions are:
1- is it normal to have energy leftover in PSU after several seconds of shutdown?
2- is this really a case of power surge?
3- are my components safe after this?
4- bad psu?

Also should I rma the PSU? Thanks.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

It is perfectly normal for some residual energy to be left in the system after shutdown. This is why before working on PCs many will power cycle the computer before opening, and when doing so, you'll see a lot of items appear to power up for a second then immediately stop as the last of the power dissapates.

The VS series PSU are Corsairs lowest end PSU, so it is not great quality, but i wouldn't expect it to cause a big issue in this instance. However a power cycle shouldn't result in a system failure, what error exactly did you see?

Are you able to boot the PC normally now?

Sep 18, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

It is perfectly normal for some residual energy to be left in the system after shutdown. This is why before working on PCs many will power cycle the computer before opening, and when doing so, you'll see a lot of items appear to power up for a second then immediately stop as the last of the power dissapates.

The VS series PSU are Corsairs lowest end PSU, so it is not great quality, but i wouldn't expect it to cause a big issue in this instance. However a power cycle shouldn't result in a system failure, what error exactly did you see?

Are you able to boot the PC normally now?

Yes I am able to boot normally now. The first time I booted today I saw the 'system failure' message in notification tab followed by 'AMD wattman restoring settings to default because of unexpected system failure'( btw graphic card is Rx 570). I can't figure out exactly what could have failed.
Yeah I know Corsair's vs series was never recommended but I was tight on budget. I was just worried about graphic card and storage drives after the power cycle thing.
Guess they are fine?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If it is working now, probably fine.
But it might be indicative of something else, usually the wattman settings error usually appears with GPu driver problems or power problems (GPU or PSU).

If it boots fine now, don't worry.
But keep an eye on any odd behaviour.

Whilst they can often be inaccurate, you may also want to monitor your rail voltages using HWInfo to see if anything abnormal occurs under load, because if that software shows somewhat low/overly high readings, you can usually bet the reality will be worse.

Reactions: zamorin_theNxt
Sep 18, 2019
Whilst they can often be inaccurate, you may also want to monitor your rail voltages using HWInfo to see if anything abnormal occurs under load, because if that software shows somewhat low/overly high readings, you can usually bet the reality will be worse.

Yeah I am using HWmonitor currently. And I think everything's fine for now.

Sep 18, 2019
If it is working now, probably fine.
But it might be indicative of something else, usually the wattman settings error usually appears with GPu driver problems or power problems (GPU or PSU).

Sounds more like power problem then? It looks like psu is more of a culprit here. Do you think power cycle can cause AMD wattman errors?

Note: everything's in stock settings, no overclocking