[SOLVED] Power surge has broke my computer

hazzakak

Reputable
Jul 31, 2018
Got an ASUS board and it restarts telling me I have a power surge, i was like fairs this has happened before. But I go to the windows loading page and it restarts again.

Now it keeps restarting with the occasional “please wait”.

I plugged in a media installation and pressed boot on it, but it restarted once more and sill does.

In the end it freezes.

Solution
Asus Anti-Surge errors are actually related to your PSU's outputs. A chip on most Asus motherboards monitor PSU outputs to detect anomalous voltages and when one of the voltages exceeds the detection windows, the system gets shut down to hopefully prevent damage from continued exposure.

In other words: this typically means your PSU is dying or malfunctioning. You should quit using your PC and unplug it from the wall until the PSU is replaced or repaired to reduce the likelihood of greater harm.

When I got anti-surge errors on one of my PCs a few years ago and opened my PC to replace the PSU, I ended up discovering that the PSU filter got packed with dust. Cleaned the filter, took the PSU out to bow the dust off, put it back in, been...

InvalidError

Titan
Asus Anti-Surge errors are actually related to your PSU's outputs. A chip on most Asus motherboards monitor PSU outputs to detect anomalous voltages and when one of the voltages exceeds the detection windows, the system gets shut down to hopefully prevent damage from continued exposure.

In other words: this typically means your PSU is dying or malfunctioning. You should quit using your PC and unplug it from the wall until the PSU is replaced or repaired to reduce the likelihood of greater harm.

When I got anti-surge errors on one of my PCs a few years ago and opened my PC to replace the PSU, I ended up discovering that the PSU filter got packed with dust. Cleaned the filter, took the PSU out to bow the dust off, put it back in, been working perfectly fine since. If you have a decent quality PSU and got a case with a PSU air filter, anti-surge can be tripped by an overheating PSU.

Solution

hazzakak

Reputable
Jul 31, 2018
I’ll leave it til tomorrow I just took everything out to check faulty wires and didn’t see any dust in the PSU fan. Been about 6 hours and still now working.

InvalidError

Titan
When PSUs fail, especially lower-quality ones, it is usually the output filter capacitors inside the PSU that vent their electrolyte out due to being under-spec'd, which causes them to overheat and boil their electrolyte off. Visually, on vented capacitors, this translates into bowed-out tops, possibly visible cracks in the top and a brownish-orange crumbly crust on top.

InvalidError

Titan
EVGA has a few 500W PSUs under its brand, you need to be more specific. CPU and GPU wouldn't hurt either.

The oldest 500W models from EVGA are based on pre-Haswell designs and may not be suitable for modern systems - at least not without turning off some power-saving features.

InvalidError

Titan
Dying PSUs can take other components down with them, though that mostly happens with very low quality PSUs.

For an old relatively low-specs computer like yours though, a properly working 500W W1 should be fine. You'll have to try a different and preferably higher quality PSU to confirm whether the PSU really is the problem.

hazzakak

Reputable
Jul 31, 2018
Why is my case so unique? Or am I just not looking at the right places. I’ll start with getting in touch with EVGA about a replacement and see if anybody has spoken to them about an issue similar to mine. Then go for a new motherboard

TRENDING THREADS