[SOLVED] Power surge hit, not sure if PSU or CPU has been affected ?

Mar 14, 2022
A power surge recently hit our house and caused my pc to slow down considerably when doing anything. At first I assumed the problem would be my PSU, but when playing games like portal, my CPU usage sticks around 95-100%, close to double what it usually uses. When doing nothing, it fluctuates between 15-60% usage. Incase it could be ther problem, my HDD sits around 50% usage when doing nothing. The CPU in my PC is a Ryzen 3 3200G, my motherboard is an MSI B450M-A Pro Max, and my PSU is a Thermaltake Litepower 550W. I don't really have the money to get a new power supply AND CPU, so what would be the most likely candidate for the problems?

Last edited:
Solution
it would be unlikely that the CPU itself is damaged through a power outage.
i would imagine it would be the motherboard that actually suffered the damage and may be causing any issue afterwards.

that Thermaltake Lightpower is a very low tiered unit so even it didn't suffer any direct damage i would be replacing that potentially dangerous thing as soon as possible anyway.
using that level of power supply for a gaming system is dangerous in that the power draw while running games can end up blowing the unit and possibly taking everything connected to it when it goes.
it would be unlikely that the CPU itself is damaged through a power outage.
i would imagine it would be the motherboard that actually suffered the damage and may be causing any issue afterwards.

that Thermaltake Lightpower is a very low tiered unit so even it didn't suffer any direct damage i would be replacing that potentially dangerous thing as soon as possible anyway.
using that level of power supply for a gaming system is dangerous in that the power draw while running games can end up blowing the unit and possibly taking everything connected to it when it goes.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution

TRENDING THREADS