Power surge screwed with my pc

Oct 6, 2018
Computer fails to turn on completely . All of the lights turn on, fans ramp up, but it doesn’t boot fully and no ports work. My psu is fine, I tried replacing it but it was not the issue. I think it is my motherboard causing the issue. There are no burn marks or anything on my motherboard. I would like some advice. I’m decently new to tower PCs

Oct 6, 2018
AMD Radeon RX AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB
MSI A320m pro-vh plus motherboard
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
16GB DDR4-2400
2 TB SSHD
120GB SSD

What psu did you have before and what did you replace it with? It's likely the surge went through the psu and damaged something. It doesn't need to show any burn marks or anything. Which part it is, is what you'd have to find out and swapping parts might be the only way when you can't boot. How do you know no ports work? Can you get into bios?

Oct 6, 2018
The psu isn’t the issue. I know the ports don’t work because if I plug in. A mouse or keyboard I cannot use them. And it doesn’t boot to the bios. I can’t get anything to come up on my monitor

DSzymborski

Titan

And the PSU that totally isn't the issue is what PSU, exactly? There's no basis for saying the PSU isn't a problem.

DSzymborski

Titan

Is the Allied PSU the one that you had before or the one you had now? The more information we have, the better our guesses will be. If the Allied was the old one and this wasn't a thunderstorm or something, it's highly likely the poor quality PSU was the cause in the first place. If the Allied is the one you have now, after you fix the problem, you want a reputable PSU also.

Oct 6, 2018
There was no thunderstorm. The power just went out and came back on and shocked my computer. When I turned it on afterwards the computer was fine until I restarted the next day. The original psu was the allied psu and replaced it with a 600w evga power supply and it did not make a difference. I cannot use the computer even thought it turns on and all of the fans spin in the case as well as the cpu fan and my fans on the gpu. I can’t access the bios

DSzymborski

Titan
I'd start by breadboarding the PC outside fo the case and working from there. That junk power supply could have fried just about everything, so if you could borrow some parts to test, it would be helpful, since a situation like this will be largely trial-and-error.

I think it's safe to say the allied psu killed something. Now you know why the psu is the most important part and just need to figure out what it killed. The ports are working unless the mouse and kb don't light up. You can't use them regardless if you can't see anything.

Oct 6, 2018
1. So you’re saying I should keep the new psu because it’s better than the old allied one?

2. I don’t know how to manually reset it. I think I’m missing the cap to do so

3. There’s an “ez debug LED” thing on my motherboard and the cpu led lights up and turns off in about a second and I’m worried that the psu killed my cpu and that is why I can’t get s display. But I don’t know how the LEDs work because the light turns off.

4. Ports don’t work. Mouse and kb do not light up

pull the mb from the case. use one ram stick and a test video card see if you can get the mb to post. if you dont have any spare parts see if a local computer store will use a poste it card and a test video card on your mb with ram. if there no local shop to help then rma the mb and cpu back at the same time.

Anything is better than the piece of junk that is called an Allied PSU. I remember using one back in the day with a PC, and not even a week after we put in 10 units into the Office computers, 8 or 9 fried, taking the PC down with them.

If this PC is fixed, your main takeaway should be to NEVER skimp on the PSU.