[SOLVED] Power Surge

Jun 26, 2020
I recently built my first computer and am slightly paranoid right now after putting a decent chunk of money into it. Tonight, the lights in my house have flickered twice. Each time it lasted for less than a second, enough to where if I blinked I would have missed it. And the only noticeable effect was that the wifi router reset, causing me to lose connection.

However, my computer itself never even turned off or showed any other indication of this occurrence other than the wifi being disconnected and it trying to reconnect. I am unfamiliar with what exactly a power surge is compared to a power outage, but could this have done any damage to my pc, and is there any way to determine if a surge actually occurred?

It is plugged into a surge suppressor (not protector), although a fairly old one. And as I said, the pc itself didn't turn off at all and there doesn't seem to be any noticeable issues. Thanks in advance.

Solution
If the computer is working as before then I would not expect that there was any damage.

A power outage is when power is lost. A power surge means that some higher voltage or current flow occurred within the electrical circuits.

Very likely that the surge protector/suppressor did its' job and protected the computer by blocking the excess power.

However, doing so can cause cumulative damage within the surge protector and, in a sense, "wear it out".

So if you are in an area with frequent power problems a new surge protector may be needed.

You can easily google words such as "surge protector suppressor joules" to learn more about what surge protectors do and what you should consider before purchasing.

Ralston18

Titan
If the computer is working as before then I would not expect that there was any damage.

A power outage is when power is lost. A power surge means that some higher voltage or current flow occurred within the electrical circuits.

Very likely that the surge protector/suppressor did its' job and protected the computer by blocking the excess power.

However, doing so can cause cumulative damage within the surge protector and, in a sense, "wear it out".

So if you are in an area with frequent power problems a new surge protector may be needed.

You can easily google words such as "surge protector suppressor joules" to learn more about what surge protectors do and what you should consider before purchasing.

Solution