[SOLVED] Power sw don't work, shorting don't work ... psu paperclip test ' works '

mahin101

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016
My 6 year old pc started showing problems with its power swtch. At first it was a little unresponsive ( i had to press it harder than b4.) . 2 days ago it went complete unresponsive. ....weirdly enough I then turned off and on the ups with short delay then power sw worked !!! But now it's totally blacked out.
I read some posts and tried shorting the power sw in mobo but didn't worked. Switched the reset wire with power sw wire, that didn't work too(the reset button may have been unresponsive a long time ago.)
Then I went to psu testing , that's where it became weird. It passed the paper clip test but didnt response with the mobo external fan plugged , but after a few hour of frustration and repetition suddenly the external fan also started with the psu. . But when I plug it in the mobo ...well how can it work ? I can't even power it on the On switch doesn't work...BTW my psu don't have any on off button I turned on the ups every time.
I am at a loss, the last 48 hours have been like hell!!

BTW I also removed the cmos jumper and placed it in the adjacent pin(s) for a few second then placed it in the first positions .... I have some confusion about this : 1. I did it with main power off ,2. The jumper is too far from the cmos. Did I do the cmos thing right ?? Do I post the pic of the jumper?
Specs : intel dh55pj motherboard,
Ram 2 sticks 2gb+4gb.
Cd drive is plugged out cuz I dont need it anymore.
Windows 10 (don't think this will be helpful)

mahin101

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016

Thanks for replying. Another thing .... sometimes the mobo light turns on sometime it don't. And when I turn on the ups the psu does a very small weird sound
The sound is like trrrrrrrrrrtrrrrrrrrr..... my sound recorder isn't picking it up so I can't share it

mahin101

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016

OK I finally got hold of a multimeter and measured the voltages. Sadly only the green wire of 24 pin plug shows response of only 1.1 volts