power switch drains motherboards power?

PAPARAS

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017
Hello guys.I have my tower on my top shelf almost 1.5 meters away from me. I wanted to have a power button next to me so i don't have to stand up and reach the cases button. I bought a button from ebay and i used 1meter cable + an old cases' "power sw cable" and I connected them to my pc. My issue is that it worked only once and then my pc couldn't turn on even with the standard button (i tried connecting it with my keys or even a screwdriver but still wouldn't turn on).I thought that maybe the cables length was the problem and was draining all the power from the motherboard (MAYBE) so i disconnected the psu from the mobo and reconnected it and then it worked. The standard case button works just fine but if i connect the extended one it happens again.What should i consider the possible causes? If you have some advises of what kind of cable should i choose or whats the max length of the cable i can use i would appreciate it.

CPU; i7 7700k no overclocked
GPU; gtx 1080 g1 gaming
3x140 rgb fans
corsair H45 watercooler
MOTHERBOARD; MSI Z270 A-PRO
PSU; thermaltake 750w gold

ccampy

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

As above you need a temporary type switch as insure youhave the + and - terminals the correct way around

+ and - don't apply to switches, only to LED; switch poles either are shorted or open.

Agree, the + and - go either way on switches. Sounds like there is an issue with that switch you bought to be honest.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
GhislainG has the right idea. My guess is that you bought what most people call a "normal" switch - one that you can turn on, and it stays on until you turn it off. That is the WRONG kind of switch. The power pushbutton on your case front is a momentary-on type. It makes contact ONLY while you push it in, and then opens again as soon as you release it. It is exactly like a simple doorbell pushbutton.

TRENDING THREADS