[SOLVED] Power Throttle on a desktop Windows 10, how to enable?

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
I'm looking ways to reduce power/CPU usage on a desktop computer Windows 10 1909, I noticed there is a "Power Thorttling" setting under gpedit.msc Computer Config>Admin templates>System>Power Management, it says "at least windows 10" so I assume I have this feature but dunno how to enable for my browser and some programs? Any ideas?

Solution
It says its used mostly for saving battery life on laptops so whether it actually works on a desktopPC is another story
How to manage throttling

I tried to follow this on my PC and I don't have a throttling choice in the Select columns box on details tab of Task manager. True, I am on Win 10 Home but I would assume its the same on Pro.

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
The first question is...Why?
What are you actually trying to do?

I'm trying to reduce of power/cpu of background programs such as my browser when they are minimized, I already turned off background apps setting but that did not help it seems that setting valid for only built in uwp windows 10 apps. so firefox eats so much memory while chrome and edge eats half than that and keeps my poor stock fan cpu busy with %3 %7 usage which causes to heat increase, my case is not modern and not have enough fans in it, so I need to save power/energy much as I can, to both reduce heat and power consumption.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It says its used mostly for saving battery life on laptops so whether it actually works on a desktopPC is another story
How to manage throttling

I tried to follow this on my PC and I don't have a throttling choice in the Select columns box on details tab of Task manager. True, I am on Win 10 Home but I would assume its the same on Pro.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I am unaware of being able to manipulate CPU power consumption by individual applications.

But it seems like you're chasing the wrong tree.

Firefox uses more power than chrome or edge?
Solution - Don't use FF.

Poor stock fans?
Solution - Change one to a better quality.

I can't imagine changing the power consumption of an already minimized application can have any real effect on the power consumption of the system as a whole.

USAFRet

Titan
How to manage throttling

I have Pro, and that column does exist.
However, in a desktop system, it does nothing.

Colif

Win 11 Master
From what I read, it only shows in that column if it is being throttled, and your only real control is to stop apps from being throttled, not adding apps to the list to be throttled.

So nothing will ever show in there on a desktop PC anyway. You don't have a battery.

USAFRet

Titan
From what I read, it only shows in that column if it is being throttled, and your only real control is to stop apps from being throttled, not adding apps to the list to be throttled.

So nothing will ever show in there on a desktop PC anyway. You don't have a battery.
It shows all the current applications as Disabled.
If power throttling were a possible thing, when you minimized something, it would presumably show Enabled.