power to cpu atxpwr2?

linuxology

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Just received an I7-2600 that I think is faulty. Continue to get errors such as WHEA unrecoverable within windows boots/installs, etc. The only thing i noticed was the atxpwr2 cable has 8 pins on the motherboard, but on the powersupply only has 4. my i3-2100 works fine, but figured it was noteworthy and wondering if this would cause an issue between processors?

Solution
While some combinations can get by with only 4 of the 8pin CPU header populated, other combinations cannot.

Given the i3-2100 is a 65W chip and the i7-2600 is a 95W chip.... it's not an "apples to apples" comparison.

I fully suspect the lack of the second 4 pin is causing the issue.

Which PSU do you have that only has a 4 pin CPU connector? That PSU is likely either poor quality, substantially dated, low power, or SFF. .... or some combination of the above.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
While some combinations can get by with only 4 of the 8pin CPU header populated, other combinations cannot.

Given the i3-2100 is a 65W chip and the i7-2600 is a 95W chip.... it's not an "apples to apples" comparison.

I fully suspect the lack of the second 4 pin is causing the issue.

Which PSU do you have that only has a 4 pin CPU connector? That PSU is likely either poor quality, substantially dated, low power, or SFF. .... or some combination of the above.

Solution

linuxology

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015

yes it's severely dated. FSP Group 500W. I will upgrade powersupply and try again.