Question Power to fans and CPU Cooler pump shuts off randomly

Sep 2, 2020
Hello, I recently upgraded my CPU, MOBO, and Monitor. I am now having an issue where my cpu cooler pump, and/or some of the fans will just shut off at seemingly random times. After a few days, here are some details I have learned:

Sometimes it is just 1 power outlet on the mobo that quits, other times it is multiple at once.
Rebooting fixes it and re-powers everything.
I updated the bios today, but it still happened after that.
Happens while over-clocking, and while not over-clocking. Though it seemed like it happened more often while I was over-clocking.
I have done a few PSU calculators and they say my PSU should be good enough.

I think it has to be one of 3 issues:
  1. I got a bad Mobo
  2. My PSU peaks and maxes out and for some reason that shuts those ports down and they can't come back up
  3. some type of software setting or driver issue?

Build Details:

New with this upgrade:
Intel Core i9 - 9900K
Gigabyte Z390 Auros Pro Motherboard
CRG9 Samsung Super-UltraWide Monitor
Fresh 64 bit windows 10 install and updated

Has been in my build for over 2 years:
Deepcool Genome II Case with built in 360 mm Rad/ liquid cpu cooler
EVGA 1080 FTW Hybrid (x2 SLI)
6 120 mm sickle flow fans
32 GB GSKILL Ripjaws RAM
EVGA 850 BQ psu

Has anyone seen anything like this before?
Is there a tool or app that would help me see if my PSU is maxing out, or malfunctioning?
Any ideas and help is greatly appreciated. I would like to avoid buying new stuff, just in the hopes that it will fix it.

"Is there a tool or app that would help me see if my PSU is maxing out, or malfunctioning? "
You can use HWInfo.
It generally shows at least the main voltages (depending on the motherboard).
They are +12, +5 and + 3.3.
They should remain within 5% of these values at idle and heavy load.
HWInfo tracks the highs and lows.
Although...my first thought was motherboard...and I still suspect it may be that.

Sep 2, 2020
"Is there a tool or app that would help me see if my PSU is maxing out, or malfunctioning? "
You can use HWInfo.
It generally shows at least the main voltages (depending on the motherboard).
They are +12, +5 and + 3.3.
They should remain within 5% of these values at idle and heavy load.
HWInfo tracks the highs and lows.
Although...my first thought was motherboard...and I still suspect it may be that.

My cpu fan port just went out again and HWMonitor shows the -5V and -12V hit a minimum value of -10.880 V. is that bad? I tried to add a screenshot but i couldn't see a away to attach it.

https://ibb.co/RhG0MHG

there we go

Sep 2, 2020
You need a new power supply.
All the voltages that read are wrong.

I think my HWMonitor was buggy since I just transferred the files for it over from the previous setup. I am using the SIV to monitor the voltages now and everything looks rock solid at the appropriate voltages, even during load tests. The power problem with the mobo hasn't happened yet though so I am recording and will check the voltages when it occurs.

Sep 2, 2020
I think my HWMonitor was buggy since I just transferred the files for it over from the previous setup. I am using the SIV to monitor the voltages now and everything looks rock solid at the appropriate voltages, even during load tests. The power problem with the mobo hasn't happened yet though so I am recording and will check the voltages when it occurs.

Update, so the power to my pump and 1 of the fans just died and the 12v, 5v, and 3.3v were all still rock steady and fine. However, the ones listed as VCORE and a couple listed as VIN# dropped significantly and did not recover. This would be more to do with the Mobo delivering the power right? if the 12v, 5v, and 3.3v were all fine, the PSU should not be the issue right?

Update, so the power to my pump and 1 of the fans just died and the 12v, 5v, and 3.3v were all still rock steady and fine. However, the ones listed as VCORE and a couple listed as VIN# dropped significantly and did not recover. This would be more to do with the Mobo delivering the power right? if the 12v, 5v, and 3.3v were all fine, the PSU should not be the issue right?
Correct.
and Vcore is your voltage to the CPU provided by the motherboard.
So now it's really looking like the motherboard.
Do you have the latest BIOS installed?

Sep 2, 2020
Correct.
and Vcore is your voltage to the CPU provided by the motherboard.
So now it's really looking like the motherboard.
Do you have the latest BIOS installed?

Yeah one of the first fixes I tried was updating that. So I ordered the same mobo to try to swap them out and it should be here tomorrow. I saved the bios to a flash drive. If I load thaat into the new Mobo after I swap, will I still have to mess with reinstalling everything? (w10, drivers, apps, etc.)

Sep 2, 2020
Yeah it is. That is good news at least. Hopefully that goes smoothly and solves the problem. I will update after that is done, likely tomorrow night. Thanks for all of the help!

Sep 2, 2020
Sorry to bug you again, but I may have stumbled onto an alternative solution. I was going through my boxes to get my thermal paste and stuff ready for the mobo switch, and in the box my PSU came in over 2 years I found a power cord still in a baggy with a zip tie. When comparing it to to the one I was currently using, the one I found was TWICE as thick!

So yeah if you haven't already figured it out, what I think happened was that when I built the rig 2 years ago, I must not have used the power cord that came with the PSU, and used either my old one from my old 650w psu or who knows maybe it was monitor power cord or something.

So MAYBE that cord was good enough for the power that was pulled in my rig for the last 2 years, but now that I have upgraded, it wasn't able to pull the full 850w, causing the issues....

What do you think? Well we are going to find out bc I rebooted and plugged in the big boy cord. We will see if stuff continues to shut off.

Sorry to bug you again, but I may have stumbled onto an alternative solution. I was going through my boxes to get my thermal paste and stuff ready for the mobo switch, and in the box my PSU came in over 2 years I found a power cord still in a baggy with a zip tie. When comparing it to to the one I was currently using, the one I found was TWICE as thick!

So yeah if you haven't already figured it out, what I think happened was that when I built the rig 2 years ago, I must not have used the power cord that came with the PSU, and used either my old one from my old 650w psu or who knows maybe it was monitor power cord or something.

So MAYBE that cord was good enough for the power that was pulled in my rig for the last 2 years, but now that I have upgraded, it wasn't able to pull the full 850w, causing the issues....

What do you think? Well we are going to find out bc I rebooted and plugged in the big boy cord. We will see if stuff continues to shut off.
My guess is that it won't work....but I hope it does.
I think it's possible that the other power cord may have been too small as far as conductors...but generally.....I think it would work more often than not. I guess we will see.

Sep 2, 2020
Replaced the Mobo last night. Fans just shut off again this morning. I guess there is something going on with the PSU. Just ordered a new one, 1000W gold. I'll put that in next week and hopefully that is the end of this mess...