Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
Corsair Carbide Series Air540 mid-tower case
Azus Z97-A USB 3.1 motherboard
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.0G 8M
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Samsung SSD 850 EVO (2 each)
EVGA GEForce GTX 980 graphics card
Kingston 8G HX321C11SR/8 HyperX Savage DDR3 DIMM (2 each)
Corsair RM850 power supply
Corsair H1000i GTX water cooler
Corsair K95 RGB Platinum keyboard
Corsair MM800 RGB Polaris pad
Razer Deathadder Elite mouse
Planer PCT2485 Touch LED LCD Monitor
Hitachi LG DVD CDROM RW drive

Long story short, I get good indications of power, but on power-up with the tower case push button, as well as the motherboard power button, it just bumps the fans, lights the cooler and graphics card, then stops. No boot. I have to turn off the power supply. Unplug it. Do this routine half a dozen times, then viola!, it works.

Google search led me to Tom's, (like it always does), and a few similar threads pointing to the power supply.

Opened up the power supply because I saw corrosion. Cleaned it. Appeared to be assembly flux sloppiness. Good results with isopropyl alcohol, (and beer for my horses). However, next issue was inability to get Windows 7 to load. Then, the BIOS started acting flakey.

Format. Format. Format. Because, you know, I was going to buy an external hard drive to back it all up...in 2015 when I built it. Never happened.

Fresh start.

Ran great yesterday. Hella-killed the 7-year-olds on Steam all day. Watched Freddie Mercury and Bohemian Rhapsody last night. This morning, the no power-up issue returned, pre-coffee.

Put a hair dryer on the power supply for 3 minutes.

Working great now.

Called Corsair. No help because, oh god, I opened the power supply and the magic leaked out any possibility of humankindness. No creds for a Bachelor's in Electronics. The inhumanity...

I don't have another power supply to double-check my troubleshooting. Getting ready to order a new one.

Two Questions:

1. Any bright troubleshooting ideas before I spend the dough?

2. Any particular power supply I should buy? Corsair dude says RM850X, complete with all the magic still inside and the magic sticker installed on the Allen-head screw.

Thanks to all for posting on this website. I've learned a lot and saved a bunch.

Last edited:
Solution
Go to a PC hardware store, buy a sufficient PSU to test with. Plug the new PSU in and see if it solves your problem then just return the PSU, get your money back and order one that you want to buy. I suggest getting a Seasonic though just because they have a reputation for being very safe on your components. But if you want to test it without spending his money, just get one from Best Buy and return it when your done.

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
Go to a PC hardware store, buy a sufficient PSU to test with. Plug the new PSU in and see if it solves your problem then just return the PSU, get your money back and order one that you want to buy. I suggest getting a Seasonic though just because they have a reputation for being very safe on your components. But if you want to test it without spending his money, just get one from Best Buy and return it when your done.

Reactions: heykerrdog
Solution

heykerrdog

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
I tried Corsair Customer Service, again. Got a new lady with a new attitude this time, she says create a ticket and make a claim regardless. Process started.

I'm perusing the Tom sticky on PS's to see as well. Thanks for the Seasonic mention.