Question Power Up Issue(s)

Mar 8, 2023
I'm looking at a HP Pavilion Gaming PC that was/is dead. There were no signs of life when plugged in. No LEDs on motherboard, no fans turning. Question 1 - Should there be?

It would not turn ON via power switch.

I installed a new PSU and at least the GPU fan comes on now, but that's it. Still no LEDs on motherboard and nothing when turning ON the power switch.

Question 2 - There is a damaged USB port. I'm wondering if that might be shorting and causing the problem?

I've unplugged and plugged in the PSU to no avail. I've never gotten any momentary spin-up on the PSU fan, either the old one or the new one.

Again, something is different with the new PSU that at least the GPU fan turns.

Question 3 - Is there some protocol that I should follow after installing a new PSU?

Thanks! Any help would be appreciated!

Mar 8, 2023
OK, after asking its owner some questions, I now understand that the power button "first stopped illuminating, but the button worked fine (PC came ON). Months later, the button became 'touchy' and intermittent. The second to last time after it was powered down, it didn't come back ON at all. The next day she walked by it and pressed the button and it came ON. But alas, if finally would not come on at all." See my post above for where I picked up with it. Now I'm wondering if it's just the power button and if I can bypass it or mimic its function somehow...

Mar 8, 2023
OK again... so, as it turns out, it was apparently somehow just bad connection to the power button. When I removed the front panel, the connector came off rather 'easily'. Once I reconnected, all became well in the world.

Still open to comment on previous note about the new PSU making the GPU fan turn, but not the old PSU. Strange.