[SOLVED] PowerBook G4 - Which default OSX comes with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

netspiderz

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I recently bought a MAC PowerBook G4 15'' 1.5GHz without any OS installed/working, I am getting a boot error and I guess that I would have to reinstall the OS, but I have no CDs/DVDs. The error is "Decrementer exception at SRR0..." and if I try too boot typing "mac-boot" it will hang with an icon on the middle of the screen forever without getting to the OS login screen.

I don't know anything about MACs beside the fact that they come with an apple :p

How do I know which version of OSX came originally with this laptop? Do MAC OSX use a serial key (like Windows CoA) for the installation and activation? Is there anything like OEM and Retail versions?

Is there any diagnostic software for MACs such as UBCD? Or is there any Linux distribution that doesn't require me to install anything and it will boot only from CD (like Linux Slax for PC)?

Solution
Yes you can get a linux live cd. Xubuntu will be a good choice.
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/ports/releases/10.04/release/
^last build of xubuntu for ppc is available there.

Alternately you can just install xubuntu and be done with macos :)
Yes you can get a linux live cd. Xubuntu will be a good choice.
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/ports/releases/10.04/release/
^last build of xubuntu for ppc is available there.

Alternately you can just install xubuntu and be done with macos :)

Solution

netspiderz

Distinguished
May 29, 2009

Thanks, I am going to try this now. Does "live CD" means that no HDD installation is required and it will run directly from CD?

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Your 15" 1.5GHz PowerBook probably came with OSX 10.3.x Panther. Officially, it could run up through OSX 10.5.8 Leopard, but in my experience, the entire system will run best with OSX 10.4.x Tiger.

As stated above, you can make a bootable disc to run Linux. This would probably be your lowest cost option.

As for installing Mac OSX, you'll need to find a set of OEM Restore discs for your era of PowerBook G4. You'll need to figure out which specific PowerBook G4 you have as the Restore discs are very picky. Try looking online based on your computer's serial number. The restore discs are available on eBay, but you'll probably pay somewhere around $100+ for 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS