[SOLVED] Powercolor 5700XT suddenly stopped working

avioncumotor

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Hey everyone.

About two months ago I purchased the above card and I am currently running a 2700x, 16gb ram 3333 hyperx, msi carbon b450.

It's been times where my monitor would just go black with a message that No DP signal found, but when restarting it was all good. This must have happened once a week.

Today however, it lost signal and now the red VGA led is red on the motherboard. I have not opened the Pc case since, so it has not been tempered with in any way.

Tried to connect via hdmi to my TV, but same issue, and I am guessing if the LED is red it does not send any signal, so any monitor/tv I use it would be the same story.

I recently tried updating the AMD driver from their portal, upon which I got a BSOD, which I did gt in the past when updating the same version of the driver but I thought i'd give it another go. When I did check for the update again after the last bsod, it was not available for download and I thought it must have installed. This was maybe 2-3 days ago.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot!

Solution
From what you've described you'll get a replacement as I had the exact issue. Yes, download and use DDU in safe mode and it'll clear all your display drivers. Then you can install the latest Radeon drivers. The bsod you were mentioning before were likely the result of driver conflicts, and not the reason for your card dying.

avioncumotor

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Sorry about that, it's a corsair HX 850. Everything turns on when I power on the system, just like before that crash.

I have also tried slotting the card in the a 2nd slot, used the direct cables from the PSU (and not the flashy extensions I use) but the result is the same. I have not done anything to the Bios, and as you probably know I have no access to it due to the processor not having a video function.

I have taken it to a repair shop, a person I trust and is not a rip off, and will gladly provide an update once I have it, but if any ideas cross your mind, I'd love to understand.

Like I mentioned, worked fine for about 2 months, but there have been occasional instances where the new Call of duty would freeze for about 10 sec or so (which could be caused by the game as every day it's updating itself), and also 3-4 instances across these 2 months where my monitor would go black, but I could still hear the sound, movement of characters in game, just that the "No DP signal found" would display. A restart has always fixed this.

Curious if anyone had any issues, especially BSOD when trying to update the latest AMD "Optional" drivers, which on 100% of tries BSOD my system.

Cheers!

avioncumotor

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Alright, so the guy called, and he tried 2 different cards and there was video, seems like the Powercolor 5700X only lasted me for 2 months :)

a lot of money and now a few weeks probably to RMA it.

Also, for the future, would it be worth buying a cheap 20 pounds or sth video card to troubleshoot such issues? I could have certainly done this at home, but I do not have a shitty GPU to do that

avioncumotor

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
One more thing, so that guy could not check if my video card worked in other pc as he did not have 2x 8 pin connector, he could only check other cards in my PC.

The card has a physical switch between OS and Silent Bios and he checked both, and the same result.

avioncumotor

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Hey,
Following up. My repair guy said he had an identica case last night after the last update from amd. My question is, if the rma comes back saying the card is fine, what are my options? Getting a very cheap video card and removing the drivers?

Nov 13, 2019
Okay this has me slightly worried!

I've had my 5700xt red devil since the start of September, and the exact same thing happened to me two weeks ago. I sent mine back to ebuyer and a replacement is on its way currently.

I experienced the same thing where the monitor would display no signal after being switched off, but I believe this to be a driver issue. I left my PC idle for a few hours, and it was still powered on but would not display a signal when I came back to it. After a restart I had the red VGA led as you mentioned. Tried the card in a different system and it couldn't detect it.

avioncumotor

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Sorry to hear that. Seems like identical issues. My card is on its way to overclockers and my biggest fear is that they will tell me it’s fine and send it back as it is. My only option is getting a cheap card and deleting all drivers and hope when i get it back it works. I was unable however to test it in a different pc.
I wrote to powercolor support and they recommended just that, but not mentioning anything about drivers or any other potential fix.
Sometimes when the pc would be idle for a few hours i would come back unable to turn it on without a restart. Only thing that kept it going was to set up the go to sleep option after 4 h so that the screen does not dim.
Hope your new one works!

avioncumotor

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Hey people, so I got an old nvidia 760 OC card, and it works fine so far. A quick question.

Is there any clash if I leave both AMD drivers installed from my 5700xt and update the nvidia ones? cheers!

Nov 13, 2019
When switching between cards it's usually recommended to use DDU in Windows safe mode to clear all drivers before installing new ones. If your Nvidia card is working fine with both installed I wouldn't worry, however when you get a replacement I would definitely perform the steps above as I know others have had issues with bsod when not cleanly installing the AMD drivers with this card.

avioncumotor

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Cheers! so my old one is a 5700xt, and i got reasons to believe that if it comes back fine, physically, it was the drivers, so you recommend before plugging it in, delete both nvidia and original AMD drivers right? just start fresh right?

Nov 13, 2019
From what you've described you'll get a replacement as I had the exact issue. Yes, download and use DDU in safe mode and it'll clear all your display drivers. Then you can install the latest Radeon drivers. The bsod you were mentioning before were likely the result of driver conflicts, and not the reason for your card dying.

Solution

avioncumotor

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Well, which drivers could have been conflicting? At that time I only had the amd ones installed from their installer. As a side note, powercolor answered, and they seem very annoyed with amd messing with their business with their driver issues :)

Nov 13, 2019
In that case I'm not sure, I just know that plenty of people have been having driver issues with the 5700xt. I experienced a few myself but the latest were working fine for me before the card died.

avioncumotor

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Yea, AMd works in mysterious ways :) but its quite sad, the card i'm using now is maybe 8 years old, and still works, and a 2 months old blacks out. They don't make things like they use to.

avioncumotor

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Their support is as basic as it comes. they clearly state to all their buyers that they are responsible for the initial screening, but I was told that if the card is faulty, but fixable, they will send it to powercolor and this will take 28 days :) so happy times

avioncumotor

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Hey,

Heard back from Overclockers and they deemed it as faulty and sent it back to Powercolor. Luckily it's going to take up to 28 days :)

I perfectly understand that such things happen, but I would expect it not top happen within the first 2 months. There should be some quality control. Or maybe that's just me being annoyed by the situation and spending 500 Pounds for a faulty card. I personally don't think a repair would cut it as it's so new, so I've asked for a complete replacement, but again, I might be idealistic.

Nov 13, 2019
That seems pretty poor from Overclockers, so they don't provide their own warranty at all?

I'd expect them to send it back to powercolor and send you a replacement themselves (as it's only 2 months), but maybe they're not big enough to do that. I doubt powercolor will do anything other than deem it faulty and send a new one.

I guess one positive is that you don't have to deal with the manufacturer directly.

avioncumotor

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Yea that's what I think my "luck" has been, that I'm dealing with Overclockers who offer a 2 year warranty, basically acting like the middleman. If their team found the card to be ok they would send it back to me as is.

That would have been the ideal scenario, send me a new one asap and then they can deal with powercolor.

Cheers for the help mate.

Nov 13, 2019
No worries, it's my first time using ebuyer but their returns have been really good (they cover the first year of warranty). So maybe something worth considering in the future.

Let me know if you have any issues with your new card!