[SOLVED] PowerColor 5700xt

Feb 25, 2021
So I just had a question about the vram on this particular amd card... I starting mining with it maybe a week ago and after messing and messing with the oc settings the most stable the vram will run at is 1828(max frequency set to 1836 to achieve that) if I set to 1830 it’ll mine for maybe half a day and I’ll have the amd driver crash error when I get home .. if I set the max to like 1860 + the screen will just turn a weird green and not display anything while the computer continues to run... (Windows 10, 16gb ram, Intel 7th gen processor, 650w psu, 1300 clock 750mv and 93 watts on the wattman) my frustration being the only way to raise hashrate on the coin im mining is more vram... the max frequency bar allows for 1900 but can’t really get close.

Solution
Heat isn'tthe only thing that limits a card's speed - there could be other bottlenecks which are affecting hashrate.

I have changed vram and other card settings with the miner running to no detriment however be aware that the impact on your hashrate may not become apparent for a few cycles. What I've read online insists that with an undervolt and an underclock you're not at risk of damaging components, but you are overclocking your VRAM so just because the slider goes that high doesn't mean it should be pushed that high.

Yes I paid above the odds for my 5700xt and with my 580 mining alongside it it is going to take some time to make that investment back over the retail price of the card, but remember if you break it you'll...
Feb 25, 2021
So I just had a question about the vram on this particular amd card... I starting mining with it maybe a week ago and after messing and messing with the oc settings the most stable the vram will run at is 1828(max frequency set to 1836 to achieve that) if I set to 1830 it’ll mine for maybe half a day and I’ll have the amd driver crash error when I get home .. if I set the max to like 1860 + the screen will just turn a weird green and not display anything while the computer continues to run... (Windows 10, 16gb ram, Intel 7th gen processor, 650w psu, 1300 clock 750mv and 93 watts on the wattman) my frustration being the only way to raise hashrate on the coin im mining is more vram... the max frequency bar allows for 1900 but can’t really get close.

Have you been keeping an eye on temperatures and usage using a tool such as GPU-Z? Perhaps you're hitting some threshold which is detrimental over time?

What is the hashrate you're currently mining at and the coin? It may be that a BIOS mod is the only way to raise hashrate if you're at the ceiling of an unmodified BIOS card.

Feb 25, 2021
Have you been keeping an eye on temperatures and usage using a tool such as GPU-Z? Perhaps you're hitting some threshold which is detrimental over time?

What is the hashrate you're currently mining at and the coin? It may be that a BIOS mod is the only way to raise hashrate if you're at the ceiling of an unmodified BIOS card.

I haven’t used any kind of tool to monitor usage other than the wattman , would it help find the problem for me somehow ? Yes after messing with it I do believe it’s the vram. If I keep at 1828 it’ll mine 24/7, but even bumped up just 2 to 1830 loses stability over longevity. the Temp/junction reaches around 50/58c max I’ve seen even after 24 hours straight of mining, I’m mining on Nanopool (eth) at 52.1... I’m not really complaining too much, it’s an acceptable rate, I just know if I could raise the vram from 1828-1900 it would sit at like 54mhs+ with rough math.. since eth is entirely memory based. or even somewhere in the middle 1850... thanks for the reply bro

Feb 25, 2021
Hi,

GPU-Z might give some insight. It may be that that OC is just unstable. My own 5700xt is set to 1818mhz and I keep it there due to memory temperature which I see in GPU-Z - this tends to hit 90+ degrees and I'm not comfortable pushing the OC higher. Have a look at the reported VRAM temps when mining as I think you might be shocked to see how your core temps remain low whilst your VRAM temps spike (Wattman won't show VRAM temps afaik).

My experience of mining on an rx580 is that it will get up to 24 hashrate on the standard BIOS but to increase up to 30+ really requires a custom BIOS flashing which, among other things which I'm not sure of, also carries out memory 'strapping' -modifying the VRAM timings to be more efficient for mining.

It may be that whilst you've seen reported hashrates online for 5700xt's in the 55+ range, these are only achievable with a custom BIOS flash and the usual cautions apply; make sure you back up the original bios, be aware you can brick a card this way and have a backup plan. I was fortunate that I had 2 cards on one motherboard which allowed me to use a non-bricked one for my display driver, but my first attempt to BIOS mod my rx580 did not end well.

So you've probably pushed your card as far as it will go with stock BIOS although I would not discount other opinions on this forum as there are lots of experienced people here. 'Silicon Lottery' is a great way of saying your results may vary but it's true; not all cards are created equal and yours may be approaching its limit.

Hope this helps.

Feb 25, 2021
Hi,

GPU-Z might give some insight. It may be that that OC is just unstable. My own 5700xt is set to 1818mhz and I keep it there due to memory temperature which I see in GPU-Z - this tends to hit 90+ degrees and I'm not comfortable pushing the OC higher. Have a look at the reported VRAM temps when mining as I think you might be shocked to see how your core temps remain low whilst your VRAM temps spike (Wattman won't show VRAM temps afaik).

My experience of mining on an rx580 is that it will get up to 24 hashrate on the standard BIOS but to increase up to 30+ really requires a custom BIOS flashing which, among other things which I'm not sure of, also carries out memory 'strapping' -modifying the VRAM timings to be more efficient for mining.

It may be that whilst you've seen reported hashrates online for 5700xt's in the 55+ range, these are only achievable with a custom BIOS flash and the usual cautions apply; make sure you back up the original bios, be aware you can brick a card this way and have a backup plan. I was fortunate that I had 2 cards on one motherboard which allowed me to use a non-bricked one for my display driver, but my first attempt to BIOS mod my rx580 did not end well.

So you've probably pushed your card as far as it will go with stock BIOS although I would not discount other opinions on this forum as there are lots of experienced people here. 'Silicon Lottery' is a great way of saying your results may vary but it's true; not all cards are created equal and yours may be approaching its limit.

Hope this helps.
Yeah, seems like you may be right, again 52 is fine in the end but was hoping to squeeze it for more, it was an expensive card and I’m a newb when it comes to altering stuff like bios so not sure I wanna jump into that... yet anyway... it’s weird though because if I move the max frequency bar up to 1860+ the screen just turns green and the computer still runs.. I can’t imagine it gets that hot in a split second... 1830-1840 will work temporarily but always ends up with amd driver crash message as the hours go by..Is it bad to change vram and apply settings with miner running ? could the monitor connected have anything to do with it ? I am using a 100$ Target monitor .. 1900 max resolution.

Feb 25, 2021
Heat isn'tthe only thing that limits a card's speed - there could be other bottlenecks which are affecting hashrate.

I have changed vram and other card settings with the miner running to no detriment however be aware that the impact on your hashrate may not become apparent for a few cycles. What I've read online insists that with an undervolt and an underclock you're not at risk of damaging components, but you are overclocking your VRAM so just because the slider goes that high doesn't mean it should be pushed that high.

Yes I paid above the odds for my 5700xt and with my 580 mining alongside it it is going to take some time to make that investment back over the retail price of the card, but remember if you break it you'll have no income whatsoever.

I don't think your monitor will impact your mining too much - mine is a 2k 144hz gaming thing and my hashrate is barely impacted. In fact, I'm mining right now with all cards with no input lag using lolminer, although I've seen some lag using teamredminer which, although it reported a higher hashrate on my screen, showed a lower hashrate poolside after a 24h run.

If your card has dual BIOS you can always switch to the BIOS you don't use much and try modifying that if your heart is set on it. if you bork it you can boot up in the working BIOS then switch the switch over to the other one and repair the broken BIOS (by re-flashing the original BIOS you've saved before starting) and then try again. I plan on doing it once I've figured out my VRAM thermal pad issue (see other post) since mine has a silent and OC mode switcher.

Solution
Feb 25, 2021

Yes I paid above the odds for my 5700xt and with my 580 mining alongside it it is going to take some time to make that investment back over the retail price of the card, but remember if you break it you'll have no income whatsoever.

I don't think your monitor will impact your mining too much - mine is a 2k 144hz gaming thing and my hashrate is barely impacted. In fact, I'm mining right now with all cards with no input lag using lolminer, although I've seen some lag using teamredminer which, although it reported a higher hashrate on my screen, showed a lower hashrate poolside after a 24h run.

If your card has dual BIOS you can always switch to the BIOS you don't use much and try modifying that if your heart is set on it. if you bork it you can boot up in the working BIOS then switch the switch over to the other one and repair the broken BIOS (by re-flashing the original BIOS you've saved before starting) and then try again. I plan on doing it once I've figured out my VRAM thermal pad issue (see other post) since mine has a silent and OC mode switcher.
Thanks for all your help man I appreciate it, I think like you said it’s just the max it’s going to allow unless I modify bios... which I’m gonna have to reseracha bit more thoroughly before attempting

Feb 25, 2021
for this card it’s unmodded bios and I’ve seen others able to reach high (1850/1900 MHz) vram memory clock speed (eth mining) it runs 24/7 without issue at 1828. 1830-140 will run but it’s a matter of time before the amd driver crash alert... takes sometimes an hour sometimes longer ... if I drag the max frequency bar to 1860+ the screen turns a military kind of green and the computer stays running, I’m gonna guess I’m at the end of its limit I just see others with the exact same card able to reach higher no problem claiming unmodded bios so I feel like I’m missing something

Feb 25, 2021
Not all cards are created equal - even though it's the same model not all of them will be able to hit the same memory speed due to manufacturing differences. Silicon lottery.