Question Powercolor Red Devil RX 5700XT OC bios mode issues

Jul 20, 2019
Recently I purchased a Powercolor Red Devil RX 5700XT, and for the first couple of days I had the card installed in the "Silent mode" setting that the card offers via a physical switch on the card itself. I was getting pretty satisfactory performance, but out of curiosity I wanted to try the "OC mode". After changing the switch and reinstalling the card using DDU, the first thing I noticed was that the audio coming from my PC would constantly pop and crackle. At first I thought it was my speakers, but I tried a different device with no audio issues whatsoever. Next, the display would frequently flicker, and even YouTube videos would refuse to load. There were was also constant freezes and crashes in this mode. I tried changing the PCIE settings in the bios to see if that would solve anything but no luck. Does anyone know any work arounds with this issue, or should I just reinstall the card again and keep in Silent mode?

Update: As of now, even with reinstalling the card back to "Silent mode" I'm getting the same audio and visual issues that I had in the OC mode, which did not exist prior to when I switched just yesterday. Yesterday I used my PC for a couple hours without any issues whatsoever. Now, the moment I launch, I face issues on startup. I'm currently reinstalling windows to see if that fixes anything.

Update 2: After completely reinstalling Windows, the problems seem to have ceased. No flickering or freezing immediately on startup and the audio is back to normal. Now the question is, is it worth trying to set the bios switch back to "OC mode" again, but maybe needing to freshly re-install Windows once again.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019
When using the bios switch don't use ddu as that may have caused the problem I heard of something similar not too long ago but don't ddu when using the switch

I don't know how accurate this is, but I did have to completely reinstall Windows because the problems still consisted after a switched back to "Silent mode"

Jul 20, 2019
The only other thing I can think of is maybe a power supply issue.

What GPU did you have before, and what brand and exact model of power supply do you have?

I've been using an RX 480 4GB for about four years now. I tried a RTX 2070 for a couple of weeks but ended up returning it because I wasn't satisfied with the performance for the price I paid. I have the Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX 750W

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, while the 5700XT consumes rather more power than the RX 480, the Seasonic Focus Plus is a rock-solid PSU, so that can't be the issue. It does seem likely that the card is at issue. Extremely strange that it's only a problem with the Silent Mode, since that should theoretically put less stress on things, rather than more.

Jul 20, 2019
Well, while the 5700XT consumes rather more power than the RX 480, the Seasonic Focus Plus is a rock-solid PSU, so that can't be the issue. It does seem likely that the card is at issue. Extremely strange that it's only a problem with the Silent Mode, since that should theoretically put less stress on things, rather than more.

If it's confusing let me reiterate. I started with the silent mode enabled with no problems because that's the setting it was shipped with. A couple days later I decided I wanted to try the OC mode to see if I got significantly better performance. I had read somewhere that I would need to reinstall the card for the bios switch to take affect. (This was most likely accurate because when I benchmarked some games with the switch in a different position, the performance was exactly the same) So I used DDU to reinstall the card in the OC mode. The moment I reinstalled the card, consistently on launch the card would have crashing, sound, and display issues. I then DDUed the card again, putting the card back into silent mode, but the same problems with the OC mode stayed prevalent. The only work around I found was by completely reinstalling Windows fresh. The card is still currently in silent mode. Based on this behavior it is most likely a software issue and not a hardware one.

Apr 8, 2020
... After changing the switch and reinstalling the card using DDU, ...

Hi,
IF you have AMD CPU, I think you might have corrupted/uninstalled your AMD chipset drivers by using DDU. When you reinstalled windows those drivers were reinstalled as well.
I recommend using AMD uninstall tool (because it leaves the chipset drivers intact) when you want to refresh the Radeon graphic drivers, but not when switching BIOS on the GPU...

Jul 20, 2019
Hi,
IF you have AMD CPU, I think you might have corrupted/uninstalled your AMD chipset drivers by using DDU. When you reinstalled windows those drivers were reinstalled as well.
I recommend using AMD uninstall tool (because it leaves the chipset drivers intact) when you want to refresh the Radeon graphic drivers, but not when switching BIOS on the GPU...

But this doesn't seem like it would matter if I completely installed a fresh version of Windows, which I have already done. In the end, I've been using the oc mode with fairly few issues for the past two weeks. The audio issues still persisted, and the only work around I found was using in line speakers from the PC instead of using HDMI audio.