[SOLVED] Powercolor RX 580 Artifacting

Benerang

Reputable
May 29, 2017
Hello, about a month ago I purchased a Powercolor Red Dragon RX 580 4GB. I've been using it at stock speeds in my PC, but about a day ago, I turned it on and the 580 started articacting badly on the desktop. Naturally, I DDU'd it and re-installed stable drivers to no avail. I decided to give the card a full cleaning and that didn't help either. The card seems to function normally, getting normal temps in afterburner, and even overclocking than getting a better framerate, however the artifacting is so bad, it makes the game unplayable. I also can't RMA it because I purchased it on eBay, and that voids the Powercolor RMA process. So if there's a component on these cards that is known for breaking, that I can order and re-solder onto the card, or some other software issue I can fix, please tell me. I've tried just about everything I could think of.

Solution
It sounds like the card is bad. No, I don't think there are any SMDs you could 'replace' to make it work.
To help others who may have different suggestions, please list your full PC specs (including power supply).
Many times artifacting is the product of memory failure. Are you sure the GPU fan is running? How is the cooling in your case?

It's possible that the heatsink has become dislodged, causing the memory to get too hot and artifact. Have you tried taking the cooler fully apart, cleaning it, and putting it back together? Before you do you should get replacement thermal pads and grease so you can put it back together properly and watch at least a couple videos detailing the entire process.

If you're taking it apart anyway you may also want to look into an aftermarket cooler. I replaced the stock cooler on my Vega64 recently and it is such an improvement in temps AND noise level. I should've done it sooner. You could also look into undervolting to keep the temps down or, once you clean it/replace the cooler, overvolting.

Note: You could also put $80+ doing the above and find that it's permanently damaged. Putting any money into it will be a gamble.

Benerang

Reputable
May 29, 2017
Many times artifacting is the product of memory failure. Are you sure the GPU fan is running? How is the cooling in your case?

It's possible that the heatsink has become dislodged, causing the memory to get too hot and artifact. Have you tried taking the cooler fully apart, cleaning it, and putting it back together? Before you do you should get replacement thermal pads and grease so you can put it back together properly and watch at least a couple videos detailing the entire process.

If you're taking it apart anyway you may also want to look into an aftermarket cooler. I replaced the stock cooler on my Vega64 recently and it is such an improvement in temps AND noise level. I should've done it sooner. You could also look into undervolting to keep the temps down or, once you clean it/replace the cooler, overvolting.

Note: You could also put $80+ doing the above and find that it's permanently damaged. Putting any money into it will be a gamble.

I have done a full cleaning of the card, meaning I've replaced the thermal pads, and paste. I can also confirm with MSI Afterburner that the GPU is running, also I have tried under and overvolting and the artifacting doesn't get better or worse. I also have an open-air case, so that's not the problem.

Benerang

Reputable
May 29, 2017
It sounds like the card is bad. No, I don't think there are any SMDs you could 'replace' to make it work.
To help others who may have different suggestions, please list your full PC specs (including power supply).

Great. There's 80$ down the drain I guess.

Specs:

Ryzen 5 3600x
ASrock B450 Steel Legend
16GB G-skill TridentZ
ThermalTake Smart 600w
Dead Powercolor RX 580