[SOLVED] Powercolor RX 6600xt performance issues

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
This may be more of an observation, I’ve got the current specs.

Ryzen 5 3600
AsRock AB350 pro 4
16 gb ddr4 3000 Corsair ram
Powercolor rx 6600 xt hellhound
PowerSpec 750 watt bronze power supply

Got the card a week or so ago, as I’ve used it, playing Homefront the Revolution mostly, noticed the game would freeze randomly but not crash. I’d read the game wasn’t developed the greatest so chalked it up to that. Decided to try call of duty war zone, and noticed similar behavior. The game even crashed on me.

Didn’t know really what was happening, as temps etc all looked in check. When I installed the card I used ddu, not in safe mode, to remove all nvidia drivers and installed amd drivers but I had that’s behavior.

Last night I rebooted into safe mode and did ddu for both nvidia and amd drivers. Rebooted and then installed amd gpu drivers.

I haven’t had time to test extensively but I noticed this card has a dual bios switch, one setting for oc, another for silent. It was on oc out of the box, so I switched it to silent mode, it seems to act a bit better. I’d also tried tweaking settings in the driver before.

Anyone else have this experience? Wondering if the oc they had applied wasn’t stable perhaps.

Forgot to mention cpu cooler I have a vetroo v5 with 2 fans installed in push pull, and 6 case fans. I think 3 front intake fans, 2 on top for exhaust, one rear exhaust.

Last edited:
Solution
So after the new psu and bios change, the card doesn’t seem to stutter but still rebooted my pc again. Very interesting. Contacted powercolor again so I’ll see what happens. In the mean time, I removed the drivers using ddu, but then extracted the driver and manually used device manager to install the gpu driver so that way no amd adrenaline software to contend with. So we’ll see what happens.
If the silent vBIOS still works, it's likely that the performance vBIOS needs to be flashed with a custom setting that is more stable. Other than running lower fan speeds at higher temps, you likely won't notice any performance difference between the two vBIOS settings and if you RMA the card, you will likely have to wait for a...