PowerColor's SCS3 HD6850: Radeon HD 6850 Goes Fanless

Status
Not open for further replies.

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]WhysoBluepandabear[/nom]I suggest you turn the music up, or invest in some headphones/ear-buds. This is pretty much just nitpicking over sound levels.[/citation]

There's nothing nitpicky about it. Most of the sound being generated by my system is in fact just the fan of my GPU at idle (about 1300rpm, almost twice as fast as the other two fans in my system). It's not easy making a system suitably quiet and fully capable -- you could always go with a cheap passive entry level card if you don't need or want a decent GPU. It's much easier now than in the past, but inevitably something has to give. You may not care about how loud your system is, but I actually put some effort into mine. Plus, it's not like you can't hear a system even with headphones on anyway; open back heaphones don't really attenuate any sound at all. I for one have been waiting on an appropriately quiet GPU -- I'd like some kind of hybrid system where the card's fan stops at idle and ramps up past a threshold temp, like my Seasonic PSU does.

The less noise your system makes, the harder it is to eliminate the remaining sources of noise. For some people a passive GPU can be a make or break part when it comes to keeping the roar in check. This particular GPU may not be appropriate for many systems, but passive performance GPUs are still going to be niche products for some time to come. Hopefully the next generation will be able to more ably pair performance with lower power/heat/noise.

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
That brings up an interesting question. Would it be possible to build a system that is silent (inaudible from say a distance of 1m) when surfing the net, watching videos etc, but is a full blown high end gaming rig when desired. (obviously not silently)

Could say a GTX570 be cooled passively in 2d mode, and only kick on th fan in games? What about the CPU if it was set to downclock significanty and had a good aftermarket cooler?

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]compton[/nom]There's nothing nitpicky about it. Most of the sound being generated by my system is in fact just the fan of my GPU at idle (about 1300rpm, almost twice as fast as the other two fans in my system). It's not easy making a system suitably quiet and fully capable -- you could always go with a cheap passive entry level card if you don't need or want a decent GPU. It's much easier now than in the past, but inevitably something has to give. You may not care about how loud your system is, but I actually put some effort into mine. Plus, it's not like you can't hear a system even with headphones on anyway; open back heaphones don't really attenuate any sound at all. I for one have been waiting on an appropriately quiet GPU -- I'd like some kind of hybrid system where the card's fan stops at idle and ramps up past a threshold temp, like my Seasonic PSU does.The less noise your system makes, the harder it is to eliminate the remaining sources of noise. For some people a passive GPU can be a make or break part when it comes to keeping the roar in check. This particular GPU may not be appropriate for many systems, but passive performance GPUs are still going to be niche products for some time to come. Hopefully the next generation will be able to more ably pair performance with lower power/heat/noise.[/citation]

And then I would say: Just go water cooling if you're that intolerable to fan noise. This card already costs a premium, as would many other items if you were that anal about a few dB.

Water is not only quiet, but a lot better at cooling - And just think, you won't need your Xanax anymore to cope with the fan noise.

haplo602

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
did you consider loading the cards with a decent bitcoin miner ? I can get my hd5830 to 99% utilisation according to the linux aticonfig tool (sapphire 5830 xtreme, at 900MHz core and open air it shows 67 degrees celsius). also a bitcoin miner is a good representation of a real world opencl heavy workload.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I can't stand fan noise (or disk noise) and it's great that companies are releasing products with low noise in mind. Still, with this card I'd go with a huge heatsink and a low-RPM fan rather than passive cooling. A 600 RPM 120mm fan (and the airflow it produces) is inaudible (for me at least) and is a great compromise between passive cooling and those vulgar, loud boxes.

duckgoquack

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
[citation][nom]WhysoBluepandabear[/nom]And then I would say: Just go water cooling if you're that intolerable to fan noise. This card already costs a premium, as would many other items if you were that anal about a few dB. Water is not only quiet, but a lot better at cooling - And just think, you won't need your Xanax anymore to cope with the fan noise.[/citation]

There are some ignorant people on here.

Water cooling is not quiet. Decent pumps are loud and the only exception (enhiems 1048 isn't available in my country) along with all the associated fans.

It is nearly impossible to make a quiet high performing system because graphics cards are two noisy.

Seasonic power supply, under-volted nexus real silents and your system is under 20 Dba.

But most graphics cards make 30-40 Dba and those are low-mid end ones.

What comptom says is what i would like as well. With a decent fan controller, it is near possible, but will become a lot more realistic with 28nm

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]WhysoBluepandabear[/nom]I suggest you turn the music up, or invest in some headphones/ear-buds. This is pretty much just nitpicking over sound levels.[/citation]

I don't want to wear headgear just so I could have a pleasant gaming experience. Get a job, invest in some good cooling and have your neckbeard friends marvel at your whisper-quiet rig.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]duckgoquack[/nom]There are some ignorant people on here.Water cooling is not quiet. Decent pumps are loud and the only exception (enhiems 1048 isn't available in my country) along with all the associated fans.It is nearly impossible to make a quiet high performing system because graphics cards are two noisy.Seasonic power supply, under-volted nexus real silents and your system is under 20 Dba.But most graphics cards make 30-40 Dba and those are low-mid end ones.What comptom says is what i would like as well. With a decent fan controller, it is near possible, but will become a lot more realistic with 28nm[/citation]

You confuse ignorance, with apathy. I'm also not obsessive over a few dB. I rather throw the money into A.) A better cooling solution - or B.) Just use the money to buy a better GPU and etc.

Trust me, I understand WHY you'd seek a silent system - but some of it is past the point of reason.

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
how about building video card with massive heatsink and ultra quiet fan that turns on only when temps are 80 celcius degree or more? this way it would generate no noise in everyday tasks and only little while playing games, but when you play games you don't care aboute a little extra noise as you have sound on and you don't hear it anyway

mt2e

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
I really do love the spirit of this card. I'm just suprised its a 3slot solution. If your case is icy, this card will have no probs. This is not a product that just anybody will be buying and will prolly know what their getn into when they do buy it.

superflykicks03

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
"The test results with the ultra-quiet extra fan, which managed to reduce the card’s temperature by more than 54 degrees Fahrenheit under load, prove that the passive heatsink is excellent, and it only needs a little help."

"Wow... With the addition of the fan, I think it would be a good card."

Hmmmmm...A passive card that needs, um, fans to stay cool? Some passive solution...I'm struggling to see where this card fits in as a viable solution...certainly not an HTPC (at least in %99 of HTPC cases out there).

I understand that a well ventilated case can keep it cool enough, but for the price, why not go with a better card with a massive aftermarket cooling solution, such as the Gigabyte's GV-R687OC-1GD? It is nearly silent as well, even under load, doesn't take up the extra slot, and most importantly its a Radeon HD 6870 for less money.

Well, make it fit inside an ITX or MicroATX enclosure and it will be useful to me...

It's good to see a company trying out new things though. Hopefully they'll improve the passive cooling and get better numbers. Good going PowerColor.

Cheers!

banthracis

Distinguished
[citation][nom]WhysoBluepandabear[/nom]And the dude that said water cooling is loud, needs to re-evaluate his knowledge on water cooling.[/citation]

There's a difference between quiet and silent. There are many effectively silent PC builds out there ( < 20 dba). None of them are water cooled. Water cooling will only get you so far as you always add the additional noise component of a pump.

In addition, water cooling is not always quiet. Noise is generated primarily by the fans. So a water cooling setup with some Delta 220CFM fans is gonna be loud as as heck, especially if you've got them mounted on an external radiator with nothing trapping the fan noise.

SPCR has a very good guide to building a silent PC and Puget systems makes a 18dba PC. All of which uses air.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]Well, make it fit inside an ITX or MicroATX enclosure and it will be useful to me...It's good to see a company trying out new things though. Hopefully they'll improve the passive cooling and get better numbers. Good going PowerColor.Cheers![/citation]
I'm not surprised PowerColor is capable of this, if they could make a single slot 6850 and a low profile 5750 I'm pretty ure they got their cooling systems down pat.
http://www.powercolor.com/Global/products_features.asp?id=342
They don't sell the 5750 anymore.

purist

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
I have a passively cooled 4850 (1GB) card with a slow and quiet fan keeping the temps down even further. The fan adds no additional noise that I can hear and keeps idle at 43-48C depending on room temp and below 70C maxed out in games.
I'd like a performance boost but the 6850 probably wouldn't give me enough to be worth the money. It's great to see passive cards still coming to the market. When the next die-shrink comes it should yield enough performance to make an upgrade worthwhile. Might actually have enough money then to buy the thing :(
Oh and it's worth having a quiet PC when it's in your bedroom and needs to be on all night.

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
In the old times passive coolers were much better than active ones (in windy cases) good old times seems to wink back at us ;D Give us full copper solution and some extra mounting for stability.
This could rock for OC or perfect silence :)

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

First off what are the conditions to were one would need a very very quiet PC? Just curious because I cant see gaming away and paying any attention to noise unless the noise was just crazy loud.

Second you could try finding a card like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127562. At stock fan speeds the card stays very cool and is also very quiet. You could use that as a starting point then adjust the fan profile in Afterburner so that it is say 10% at idle and then doesn't start ramping up until after the card hits say 70c. Combine that with a very quiet side case fan and I bet you could get this card running a very low fan speeds most of the time.

Again though I never seem to be able to understand why one would need a rig to be that silent. I have a PC right not with I think 7-8 fans and this is by no means a quiet PC and I dont think I have ever been gaming and thought " I wish my rig was quieter "??? :??:

G

I've got a Gigabyte Windforce 6850 with twin fans. I'm sitting next to it and I can't hear it, even in 3DMark, let alone gaming. Fanless is unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.