PowerCrapper R9800-Pee-Ewww review at Bjorn3D

Well here's another review of the R9800'Pro' in it's 128bit outfit.

The R9800PE as PC calls it is really PU.

<A HREF="http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=684" target="_new">http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=684</A>

Putting it up against the FX5900, doesn't really show where this card fits in the market, once again I'd have prefered they compare it with the REAL R9800Pro, the R9800SEs and the R9600Pro or XT.

Anywhooo, ain't that box Busy, as if there were something medal winning inside! :wink:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
all you need is to make that "9" on the box into an "X" and they gotta sale among dummies and/or on ebay. :lol:

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>
<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
that should be illegal

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
Brand name whores are stupid!

pauldh

Illustrious
ATI sure should do something about this stuff. It's a blemish to them IMO.

First 9800 Pro name takes a beating by folks who get a 128-bit one thinking they own a real 9800 Pro. Now, Platiunum Edition gets used for this crapper. Sheesh.

9800 Pro <b>LE</b> or better yet <b>VE</b> should have been a mandatory name for all these 128-bit 9800 pro's.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
The card sports 128 MB's of DDR I RAM clocked at 300 MHz (600 MHz effective) which is a tad slower compared to regular RADEON 9800. The core clock is rated at 380 MHz.

Ha! ...yeah, just a tad, about 160Mhz slower there..

<font color=blue>AthlonXP-M 2500+(12x200)</font color=blue>|<font color=green>Abit NF7-S</font color=green>|<font color=red>Kingston DDR400 2x256Mb</font color=red>|<font color=purple>NEC Accucync90 19"</font color=purple>|<font color=black>Sapphire 9600XT</font color=black>

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
Oh, nevermind, read that wrong :redface:

<font color=blue>AthlonXP-M 2500+(12x200)</font color=blue>|<font color=green>Abit NF7-S</font color=green>|<font color=red>Kingston DDR400 2x256Mb</font color=red>|<font color=purple>NEC Accucync90 19"</font color=purple>|<font color=black>Sapphire 9600XT</font color=black>

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
I left out 1600x1200 because the tested cards
sucks
perform really as mainstream boards with my choice of DirectX 9 titles.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
<b>LE</b> is also misleading. Some ATI cards such as my HIS have a LE on it. Thats limited edition and not light edition.

What they shld make mandatory is <b>CE</b> - Crap Edition
or IFUE - I fooled you edition.

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
I second that ^^^

Click <font color=blue><A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">HERE</A></font color=blue> if you realy are an <font color=red>idiot</font color=red>.

The thing is that there is an established BUILT BY ATI naming scheme with the LE from the Radeon and Radeon 8500series. Regardless of what HIS does on their own, ATI should set up a standard.

This isn't much different than the FX5900EPV,LE,SE,XT,etc. but it is a little worse in that PowerCrapper has always messed with the naming scheme and ATI should put it's foot down on that.

Set guidelines for the cores pipelines, the memory bus, and basic speed parameters. If it matches reference then it can be called by the standard name, anything else has to get a 'lite/light' or 'paladium/unobtainium/(or just plain)PLUS' edition added to it.

They have more power than they think, and this is the only thing I think they should exercise it on. The pretty much drummed out Hercules because they wanted to mess with reference IN A GOOD WAY, and yet they allow PowerCrapper to do this?

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
So we need ATI strictness.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
look at the clock on <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-131-274&depa=0&CMP=OTC-hardocp500sys&ATT=PwrClr9600XTUltra" target="_new">this</A> powercolor (err crapper)

cleeve

Illustrious
You know, it really isn't that horrible of a card... if PowerColor wasn't so stubborn and named it appropriately, there are worse ways to spend $160. Better ones, too. But still.

If they called it a Radeon 9500 XT for example, nobody would have a problem with it.

Ba$tards. I pity the fool who chooses one of these over a standard 9800 PRO.

Yeah and I think the cards themselves have places (just like the R9500Pro), but really it's their Sleazy naming scheme. The R9700 is a solid dang fast for it's time card. But when they sell them as R9700Pros, that's the problem. And that's why I hate PowerCrapper. I would dig up that old [H] review where they got their R9800 card factor underclocked but I'm sure you remember it, and I even left the link in the PowerCrapper description in the Buyer's Guide.

Seriously there's a place for all card, even the R9200SE/FX5200SE, but trying to fool the customer is unethical, and I blame the board partner the most, but nV and ATI need to be strict about this stuff because ultimately it reflects on them more with the people who aren't aware enough to know that the crap performance isn't coming from the factory, but their having been dupped.