Question Powercycling after SSD replacement

MegaMech

Honorable
Nov 22, 2014
Hello,

I upgraded one of my SSD's and my computer constantly power cycles now (turns on for a second, than turns off. It tries turning on again a few seconds later). My mobo has been kinda finicky in the past and the cables for my four drives are very tight with acute bends. Is it possible Windows 8.1 secureboot (naa, that's not possible) or for some reason the mobo wants the exact same hard drives in the exact same positions in-order to boot? The SSD I removed was my boot drive, but it should atleast post without it. I don't think I had secureboot or any other security features turned on.

Mobo: Asus H87m-plus
Cpu: i5-4570
Gpu: ATI 570 8GB (Used to be HD7970)
Ram: 8GB Corsair LP White
Case: Corsair 350M
Dvd drive: Asus
Psu: Corsair RM750
Drives: Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 2TB, Crappy Hitachi 320GB laptop drive.
Also a Patriot Ignite 240GB SSD which I am replacing with a 960GB Crucial BX500.

In the past I could bump my PC (Or touch the GPU) and it would turn off, or even turn on. After awhile I realized the USB 3.0 connector wasn't plugged in all the way and it falls out if I look at it too closely (Worst connector ever). So you can imagine after I replaced my SSD and the PC immediately turned off after turning on that the front USB connector fell out of the mobo again... Nope. I didn't really touch anything other than the drives.

I have unplugged all of my drives and the dvd drive. Pulled out the GPU. Checked all the fan headers. Took out the ram, tried with individual sticks (Slot 1 and 3). I have tried gently shaking my computer and gently pressing on the mobo. I also tried disconnecting the power cable for the drives in-case I destroyed a cable while replacing the drive. I tried letting it cycle a few times. In-theory, if I wrecked a sata cable or a power cable from bending it too far, the PC should just boot when I unplug it. My computer is extremely dusty. I tried just one drive using a sata cable that should be good.

I suspect Asus' short circuit protection is kicking in, but I dunno what else to unplug. Mobo could be dead, and maybe that means I'm switching to DDR4 and progressing past Ivyla... Haswell sooner than I expected :O
Any suggestions? I'd try plugging the system speaker in, but I threw that pos in the garbage along with the driver discs.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

MegaMech

Honorable
Nov 22, 2014
I also tried resetting the CMOS, cleaning out the dust.
I noticed a screw was falling out of the mobo. Then realized they were all loose.
So it's possible that something got shorted out due to the mobo moving around too much. But it was working fine for quite awhile before I switched out my drives. I didn't really touch the motherboard when I replaced the drive.

I took the mobo out and beat it. It still wouldn't work. I tried testing the PSU by jumping two pins of the 24 pin connector and it powered two of my fans without issue.
Then I plugged my mobo back in and it posted!!!! Whooooooo. Hopefully it continues to post.

I think any of the following options are possibilities.
  1. A wire was shorted somewhere and I moved it.
  2. The dust?
  3. Maybe the PSU is failing?
  4. Mobo is dying, and I somehow coaxed it back to life.
  5. Something shorting the mobo to the back of the case. Although I think this one is highly unlikely
  6. Maybe a kinked hard drive sata/power cable started these problems

Last edited: