Powered without CPU

Nikdogg99

Reputable
May 3, 2014
I have all my parts installed except for my cpu which I don't have. I tried turning the system on and nothing happened. Did I damage my computer in any way?!?!

Arkydo

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
Your desktop simply cannot start because even though current is flowing through the motherboard and other critical components, it will not start without the CPU, a.k.a the Brain of the operation.

All computers run through a POST in which it systemically checks if everything is in place, i.e it beeps when some problem occurs or something is damaged or unidentified, so it checks itself before it proceeds. There should be no damage from you powering it on without a CPU, although it is not recommended that you do.

Stealth2668

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2013

Except you'd probably be dead xD

hans_pcguy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Several years ago I was working on a system that wouldn't power up at all. To see if cpu was getting power (AMD K8) I started it up without a heatsink and put my finger on the cpu for about 1/3 of a second. Second degree burn on the tip of my finger. You could even read the writing from the cpu burned into the tip of my finger.

Stealth2668

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2013

Do cpu's really get that hot that fast? Was there a problem with it?

hans_pcguy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Yes they really get that hot that fast. That is why you need a good Heatsink that is well connected with thermal compound.
FYI. Only use as little as you need. Most novices use too much thermal paste which is not good.
The whole system I was working on was junk. I learned to fix computers by buying broken stuff on eBay for dirt cheap and trying to fix it. Very good way to learn.