Powerful but sleek Laptop with good Linux compatibility needed!

Jan 17, 2022
Hi,

I want a laptop with good CPU power, build quality and linux compatiblity (it doesnt have to have official linux support) in the 13" to 15" range!
Minimum specs: 16GB RAM, i7/Ryzen 5

Of course, I already had a look at the obvious options:
  • Dell XPS 13 (dev edition): I had one running Arch and it was a nightmare (random freezes, touchpad randomly stopped etc).
  • System76/Tuxedo/Framework: Users report bad build quality, battery time and software issues like not working suspend/hibernate
  • Lenovo ThinkPads: For my taste the ugliest and very bulky laptops in the market
So, I think I have to look for laptops which are not advertised as but actually provide good linux compatiblity (like my personal Asus ZenBook which runs perfectly fine on Arch)!
I am thinking of waiting for the new ZenBooks Asus presented on the CES, but want to hear your suggestions too

If you are looking to put linux on a laptop then you might want to stick with whitebox makers like Clevo or Lenovo, they tend to use standard parts without any silly firmware / hardware customization that makes linux hard.

My personal laptop is an Acer Aspire 3 A315-53 that originally had windows. My take when I bought this laptop was to simply return it back it it turned out to not work with Linux. It turned out to work pretty well on Linux, haven't found any issue so far so I didn't have to send it back.

Point is - make sure you can buy and have the right to return the product "if not happy" if you purchase from web store. Also make sure it don't require the package to not being opened before return. That way you can test to see if Linux run ok on that particular laptop model.