News Powerful New Raijintek Morpheus GPU Cooler Can't Tame RTX 4090

ManDaddio

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
I feel like this title here was clickbait.
Anyway, why would anyone think that a 4090 can be passively cooled without fans?
But speaking from experience I can say that the 4090 coolers that are on the gpus at present a pretty darn good.

With all the rage talk last year before the 4090 was released I'm impressed with the 4090 in general.

The Zotac 4090 that I have doesn't even kick on the fans until I think after 45 degrees Celsius. Maybe even closer to 50. That's pretty amazing for a card that powerful.
Noise is not even an issue with my 4090. Even the Zotac that people keep saying has such a terrible whining noise.
It does get noisy when you ramp up the fans to like 60 or 70% but that's never going to ever happen unless I force it to.

Reactions: Why_Me

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Nothing surprising really. The RTX 4090 cooler mostly uses vapor chamber to soak up and distribute heat quickly to the heatpipes and heat sinks, which should be around 2.5 slots thick. The Morpheus GPU cooler uses a conventional copper base plate, and is also slimmer. The good thing is that one can add some fairly powerful 120mm fans which can help boost the cooling performance.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing surprising really. The RTX 4090 cooler mostly uses vapor chamber to soak up and distribute heat quickly to the heatpipes and heat sinks,
Exactly. When I saw this thing, my first reaction was: where's the vapor chamber?

And if you made the vapor chamber big enough, you shouldn't even need heat pipes, but I guess that would require a blower-type fan (assuming active cooling).

Fates_Demise

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
I feel like this title here was clickbait.
Anyway, why would anyone think that a 4090 can be passively cooled without fans?
But speaking from experience I can say that the 4090 coolers that are on the gpus at present a pretty darn good.

With all the rage talk last year before the 4090 was released I'm impressed with the 4090 in general.

The Zotac 4090 that I have doesn't even kick on the fans until I think after 45 degrees Celsius. Maybe even closer to 50. That's pretty amazing for a card that powerful.
Noise is not even an issue with my 4090. Even the Zotac that people keep saying has such a terrible whining noise.
It does get noisy when you ramp up the fans to like 60 or 70% but that's never going to ever happen unless I force it to.

Because it is possible to passively cool one without fans. Go look at some of the heatsink cases where the entire side is a gpu heatsink. If you make a heatsink large enough they can cool very high temps.