Question Powering fans like this OK?

Mysteryman2000

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2012
I determined this might be more of a power supply question. But I am trying to power some fans from an xbox 360 to make use out of them. It has a weird pin out so they wouldn't just work on a mobo which is fine. But since it is 2 fans I want to make sure I have my electrical down. Do I have a 12v, 2 amp, power supply. The fans from the xbox are 12v as well so there should be no issue there. Both of the fans in the little shroud are 12v, .4amp. From what I know when I hook them up the draw if done like I have, 2 wires connected to + and 2 wires to - should be 12v, .8 amps correct? Not the 2 wires for negative are already joined at the fan connector part for the fans so I only have 1. Now if I am doing something wrong could someone explain. I'm not sure if I would consider this series or paralleled. But if anything it would be parallel am I right?

I have a picture here of what I did. View: https://imgur.com/a/12uxmoO

Ralston18

Titan
Do not connect up those fans until more is known.

The picture is one thing.

An electrical schematic is another.

First:

"Do I have a 12v, 2 amp, power supply "

What PSU is installed: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Second:

Diagram out the wires and the actual physical connections.

Are you installing the fans in a desktop PC?

More information needed.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Being "not sure" is likely to end badly.

Mysteryman2000

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2012
This is going to be connected to a wall outlet using a power brick in which the brick is 12v, 2 amp. So a power supply is not being installed into a case. I can try drawing a schematic but I am pretty bad at those. Below is the idea. Now I know for a fact there is no issue with 1 fan, but I am unsure about voltage change and amps then it comes to how I plan on having it set up as from what I remember series and parallel can change values, but I think the way I have it planed will draw right from the supply itself. In this really rough sketch Microsoft has its negative going to the middle and has 2 wires together in that terminal and the positive on the left and right. I have my 2 red wires soldered together on my positive end and one going to the negative. The way I see it both fans "should" draw independently from the power supply through the positive, sort of how microsoft has the two wires from the negative. So the resulting power draw should be 12v, .8 amp. I am wondering if my assumptions are correct.

View: https://imgur.com/a/Ufku1sV