Question Powering mobo w/o CPU RAM GPU

Slick_3

Reputable
Jul 8, 2017
Will it still power up with nothing installed? I know it won't post, but I'd expect it'd at least give a code. Is every motherboard different for this? Does doing this harm it them in any way? What's the process to properly test a motherboard and it's hardware being installed? Is there a standard step by step procedure? Can defective hardware damage a motherboard or vise versa? I'm breadboarding a Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Pro and want to take care not to damage anything.

USAFRet

Titan
The proper way to test is with all of the actual components installed.

A lot of motherboards won't do anything if some or all of those are missing.
And even if it does 'beep', that tells you nothing.

Like turning the key in a car. Just because the dash lights up, it tells you nothing about the operation of the engine or transmission.

Reactions: Slick_3

Slick_3

Reputable
Jul 8, 2017
Yes I know it won't POST, but it will at least power the fans and led's and show you that the board it isn't completely dead. Because what's the point of installing the components if it's a dead board that won't even power up at all? I've bought several untested boards from ebay with this problem and could have saved time and avoided damaging installed components.

Yes I know it won't POST, but it will at least power the fans and led's and show you that the board it isn't completely dead. Because what's the point of installing the components if it's a dead board that won't even power up at all? I've bought several untested boards from ebay with this problem and could have saved time and avoided damaging installed components.
Even if it starts fans that wouldn't tell you anything. Lights could light, fans could whirl and it still might not work when all components are in. Some do that some not, you never know.

Reactions: Slick_3