Powering old 7950 with two 6pin pci-e connectors?

Shintita

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Hello guys, I have a a friend that wants to give me his vapor-x 3gb 7950 gpu so I can game better, but noticed it needed 2x 8pin pci-e connectors. So... I wanted to know if there's anyway I can power it up with my psu or if I need to drop some cash (a lot on my country, actually) on a new one.
I've heard some guys plugging 6pin on their gpu and everthing working correctly (not sure about me doing this), using molex to 6pin and then 2x6pin into 1x8pin (this seems reasonable but I'm afraid of so many connections).

My PC has this right now:
Intel Core i7 2600
8Gb 1333Mhz Ram
Asus h61 (don't remember the model)
Sapphire Hd 5770
2x 500Gb Seagate HDD

Here I'll leave you some pictures I took of the PSU side information and what I could grab from the outputs:
http://imgur.com/a/QVFzs

It has 6 6pin for Sata drives it seems, 2 6pin pci-e, a +12v4pin for motherboard (I think) and the rest of cables come from one hole (This would be semi-modular, I guess?)

Well, guys... Any information you need to answer my question I'll be happy to give.
Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
If the card has 2x6pin PCI-E connectors, you populate it with 2x6pin PCI-E connectors. If the card has 2x8pin PCI-E connectors, you populate it with 2x8pin PCI-E connectors off the PSU. If the PSU lacks the appropriate connectors, it's highly likely it can't provide the power necessary for the additional power demands of the GPU.

FYI, that PSU is more of a firecracker than a reliable unit. I'd suggest you ditch that unit and buy a robust unit(as close to Tier 1) off this tier list that can output 650W for the sake of headroom.

Shintita

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013

Thank you very much for your input. Taking this into account I guess I'll be saving money to buy a new PSU asap, do you think a 'Thermaltake 650W Toughpower Grand RGB 650W 80 Plus Gold' (I didn't see it on the list, but I saw some reviews on other websites) will be enough for the future? It's about $170 here. And if I'm dropping that amount I'd like it to work for at least the same amount of time that my firecracker has (5 years)