Powering the computer fans

Dec 5, 2018
Hey!

I've just bought components for a new computer but I'm not really that tech-savvy when it comes to giving power to the computer fans.
I have the ASUS ROG Z-390 F motherboard and the Cooler Master V650 650W PSU

Now, I was planning on having 6 fans in the computer and I'm wondering if I'll be able to power 6 case fans and if so, how many can I power with the motherboard and can the PSU fit the rest?

Solution
A very good looking case.
It comes with two front 140mm led intakes.
The front is filtered.
I really think that is all you will need.
It comes with a rear 140mm fan and that is all you need also.
One can always change out fans later if more cooling is necessary.
If you ever need more airflow, the way to do it is to replace the two front fans with higher rpm versions.
Most of the time the fans will have 3 pin headers that you can plug into the motherboard if you want motherboard control of speed.
Sometimes the leads also have a 4 pin molex option that will always run at full speed.
140mm fans move a lot of air at relatively low rpm which will be quiet.
You will know when you install your parts in the case.

NH-D15 is as good as it gets...

Lutfij

Titan
You have 7 fan headers on the board:
179492-633527-full.jpg

What are the make and model of the fans and does your case support that many fans? On another note, what is the make and the model of your case? You might want to invest in a PWM fan hub if the fans are PWM.

What is your case?
What are the rest of your parts.

Most of the time, you need no more than 2-3 front intakes and a single exhaust to cool a hot graphics card and cpu.

Case fans can have 3 pin connectors or molex connectors.
You can attach all the molex fans to the psu and they will run at full speed.

If you want motherboard fan speed control, the fans will need 3 or 4 pin connectors.
One per fan header.
It is possible to double up on fan headers with a splitter that only passes one fan speed signal to the motherboard.

Excessive fans adds cost and noise to your pc.
Past that, excessive fans can draw in dust from other openings.
Best is to have all your air intake come in from the front behind a washable filter.
That keeps your parts clean.

Dec 5, 2018

Right, forgot to write that out. The case I'm using is the Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 6,
I am planning on buying an intel i9 9900k processor cooled by a Noctua NH-D15
GPU: Asus turbo-gtx 1080ti 11G
Harddrives: M.2 Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Crucial MX500 SSD 2.5 1TB

That should cover most of the specs, is it necessary to have 6 fans in your opinion?
And do I need to open the case in order to check how many pin connectors the case fans have?

A very good looking case.
It comes with two front 140mm led intakes.
The front is filtered.
I really think that is all you will need.
It comes with a rear 140mm fan and that is all you need also.
One can always change out fans later if more cooling is necessary.
If you ever need more airflow, the way to do it is to replace the two front fans with higher rpm versions.
Most of the time the fans will have 3 pin headers that you can plug into the motherboard if you want motherboard control of speed.
Sometimes the leads also have a 4 pin molex option that will always run at full speed.
140mm fans move a lot of air at relatively low rpm which will be quiet.
You will know when you install your parts in the case.

NH-D15 is as good as it gets for an air cooler. It will fit, you have plenty of headroom.

I might suggest that the NH-D15s would be an equally effective cooler with better compatibility for clearing tall ram and graphics cards.

Here is a link to the differences:
https://noctua.at/en/tdp-guide

As perhaps a first time builder, here is my build process:
MY build process:

Before anything, while waiting for your parts to be delivered, download
and read, cover to cover your case and motherboard manual.
Buy a #2 magnetic tip philips screwdriver.
I find it handy to buy a power switch like this for testing.
https://www.ebay.com/p/4in1-PC-Power-Reset-Switch-HDD-Motherboar-LED-Cable-Light-Wire-Kit-for-Computer/631889283?iid=142232821294&chn=ps

1. I assemble the critical parts outside of the case.
That lets me test them for functionality easily.
A wood table or cardboard is fine.
2. Plug in only the necessary parts at first. Ram, cpu, cooler, psu.
Do not force anything. Parts fit only one way.
Attach a monitor to the integrated motherboard adapter if you have one, otherwise to the graphics card.
3. If your motherboard does not have a PWR button, momentarily touch the two pwr front panel pins with a flat blade screwdriver.
4. Repeatedly hit F2 or DEL, and that should get you into the bios display.
5. Boot from a cd or usb stick with memtest86 on it. memtest will exercise your ram and cpu functionality.
6. Install windows.
7. Install the motherboard cd drivers. Particularly the lan drivers so you can access the internet.
Do not select the easy install option, or you will get a bunch of utilities and trialware that you don't want. Drivers only.
7. Connect to the internet and install an antivirus program. Microsoft security essentials is free, easy, and unobtrusive.
8. Install your graphics card and driver if you tested with integrated graphics.
You will need to remove the graphics card later to install your motherboard in the case.
As a tip when screwing the motherboard into the posts, give the screw a small counterclockwise turn until you feel a click.
That lets you know that the screw will engage properly.
Make a note of how the graphics card latches into the pcie slot.
The mechanism will be hidden under the card and may be difficult to work if you have not previously checked how.
9. Update windows to currency.
10. Only now do I take apart what I need to and install it in the case.
11. Now is the time to reinstall your graphics card.

Solution
Dec 5, 2018

Thank you for the thorough answer, I went for the Nh-D15S instead now that I saw the upsides with it!