Powerline Adapter and Wifi Booster together?

mricon

Commendable
Feb 18, 2017
Hi there

I hope someone can help me with this please...

Basically, I have powerline adapters in my home for various things around the house (TP-Link 500Mbps) and they have been really great for me. Also, to help boost the wifi upstairs in my house I have been using a wifi extender (Netgear WN3000RP) for a few years for phone wifi etc.

Anyway, just recently the extender has been unreliable. Yesterday, on Amazon Prime day, I nearly purchased the Neatgear Orbi set but, even at a reduced price, it seemed expensive / excessive.

Which got me thinking - Is it possible to plug a wifi booster into a spare socked on one of my powerline adapters. In other words, buy something that can receive it's signal over ethernet but transmit wifi? I thought that might be a good solution if something like that exists?

All suggestions, recommendations or alternatives gratefully received!

Thank you.

Solution
I run powerlines all round the house & use a separate router plugged into the conservatory to give me wireless access in the garden & grounds.

Works wonderfully (im sat outside using it now because my phone doesn't even pick up the network from my main router in the front bedroom)

TP-Link 300 Mbps Wireless N Cable Router, Easy Setup, WPS Button, (TL-WR841N) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001FWYGJS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_5O3tBbAMCM3KS

Pulls 120mbs on the back garden.
Any wi-fi router can do that. Just set it in access point mode (connect cable to lan port (not wan port) and disable built in dhcp service).

mricon

Commendable
Feb 18, 2017

That sounds great. Assuming that it's not too long to explain, how do I disable the dchp service please?

If your powerline adapters work great, no need to clog up the airway with increasingly WIFI power, since u potentially can have an ethernet jack in every room, heck u can install an AP in every room. Reduce transmit power to avoid "breeding" into the next room.

I run powerlines all round the house & use a separate router plugged into the conservatory to give me wireless access in the garden & grounds.

Works wonderfully (im sat outside using it now because my phone doesn't even pick up the network from my main router in the front bedroom)

TP-Link 300 Mbps Wireless N Cable Router, Easy Setup, WPS Button, (TL-WR841N) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001FWYGJS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_5O3tBbAMCM3KS

Pulls 120mbs on the back garden.

Solution