Powerline adapter brands?

TheGolfingPablo

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
Hi folks. I've a set of powerline adapters and they work fine. But they're old and discontinued now. I need another powerline adapter in another room. Can I just grab a different make and model? Or do they need to match the one which is connected to my bt broadband hub 5? I will only be using the ethernet cable on all of them. Thanks.

Solution
it's a matter of the protocol that they use, try contacting the manufacturer to see what's compatible, for instance 200Mbps ones use a different protocol to 500Mbps ones, so whilst they can both exist on the same powerlines, they can't talk to each other.
it's a matter of the protocol that they use, try contacting the manufacturer to see what's compatible, for instance 200Mbps ones use a different protocol to 500Mbps ones, so whilst they can both exist on the same powerlines, they can't talk to each other.

Solution
In theory at least you should be able to run multiple brands because they are all based on a standard called homeplug. It seems though real life installations they are not all that compatible. It seems very hit and miss which combination work between vendors.

You may be better off just buy 3 new units. For whatever reasons you can many times get units based on the newest av2 protocol for less than you can get the older av200 and av500 units.