[SOLVED] Powerline adapter running slow

Superiorcurve

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
I recently got a new internet package of 100mbps and my parents computer which is hard wired from a netgear R6300v2 is showing 114mbps down. My powerline adapter is a TPlink av600 and when I run the TP link software on my pc it shows a powrline rate anywhere between 70-90mbps but when i run a speed test i barely get 30mbps down. I've also changed the QoS from online gaming to internet and there is still no difference in speed. I was thinking about getting a netgear R6700 to see if this helps since my router is so outdated.

Solution
A new router will make no difference. Almost all routers can pass close to a gigabit of traffic lan-wan. From the viewpoint of your router the powerline units appear like a ethernet cable. It really does not know if there is a powerline unit or a pc plugged into the far end of cable.

Powerline units are greatly affected by the electical wires in your house. Be sure you have the powerline units plugged directly into the wall sockets...no extension cords or power strips. You could try different outlets and maybe you get lucky.

You can test the powerline units by plugging them into 2 outlets in the same room as the router. This should give you the best numbers. AV600 units should give you more than 100mbps in that...
A new router will make no difference. Almost all routers can pass close to a gigabit of traffic lan-wan. From the viewpoint of your router the powerline units appear like a ethernet cable. It really does not know if there is a powerline unit or a pc plugged into the far end of cable.

Powerline units are greatly affected by the electical wires in your house. Be sure you have the powerline units plugged directly into the wall sockets...no extension cords or power strips. You could try different outlets and maybe you get lucky.

You can test the powerline units by plugging them into 2 outlets in the same room as the router. This should give you the best numbers. AV600 units should give you more than 100mbps in that configuration.

Solution