[SOLVED] Powerline adapter won't register connection to PC, but only PC

Jul 30, 2020
I have installed two TP-LINK TL-PA4010 KIT AV600 v3.0. Paired on the network and working fine with a transfer speed of 450Mb.

If I connect to my laptop I get a good strong connection fine. If I connect my PC directly to my router, I get a good strong connection. But when I connect my PC to the powerline adapter using the same cable that I connected to the router, it fails to recognise a connection.

Anyone got any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks

Solution
What make and model network adapter is installed in the PC?

Use Task Manager or "ipconfig /all" (via the Command Prompt) to identify the adapter.

(You could likewise check the laptop's network adapter: make, model, configuration, etc.. Just as a matter of general interest. May be revealing or useful in some manner.)

My thought is that the PC's wired network adapter is not able to provide a robust enough signal that the immediate powerline adapter can sense.

The router on the other hand is able to sense (for lack of a better word) the signal when directly connected.

On your PC go into the network adapter's configuration settings. Disable power/energy saving, sleep, etc.

Here is a link with some ideas...

Ralston18

Titan
And you used the same Ethernet cable for the laptop?

Summary (edit and correct as necessary):

Laptop --- Ethernet cable #1 ---> powerline adapter(s) -----> router = Works

PC --- Ethernet cable #1 ---> router = Works

PC --- Ethernet Cable #1 ---> powerline adapter(s) ----> router = Does NOT work

Do you have another known working Ethernet Cable ("#2") to try in all three connection configurations?

Jul 30, 2020
And you used the same Ethernet cable for the laptop?

Summary (edit and correct as necessary):

Laptop --- Ethernet cable #1 ---> powerline adapter(s) -----> router = Works

PC --- Ethernet cable #1 ---> router = Works

PC --- Ethernet Cable #1 ---> powerline adapter(s) ----> router = Does NOT work

Do you have another known working Ethernet Cable ("#2") to try in all three connection configurations?

Yes that is correct. I have repeated it with a second working ethernet cable.

Ralston18

Titan

Use Task Manager or "ipconfig /all" (via the Command Prompt) to identify the adapter.

(You could likewise check the laptop's network adapter: make, model, configuration, etc.. Just as a matter of general interest. May be revealing or useful in some manner.)

My thought is that the PC's wired network adapter is not able to provide a robust enough signal that the immediate powerline adapter can sense.

The router on the other hand is able to sense (for lack of a better word) the signal when directly connected.

On your PC go into the network adapter's configuration settings. Disable power/energy saving, sleep, etc.

Here is a link with some ideas:

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/e...rnet-Adapter-Settings-for-Maximum-Performance

Those are my thoughts at the moment. Hopefully with a bit more information someone will recognize the specific problem and be able to suggest an immediate fix.

Reactions: Mister88P
Solution
Jul 30, 2020

Here is a link with some ideas:

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/e...rnet-Adapter-Settings-for-Maximum-Performance

Those are my thoughts at the moment. Hopefully with a bit more information someone will recognize the specific problem and be able to suggest an immediate fix.

The network adapter in my PC is Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V. Have changed the power saving settings and it hasn't connected. Will have a read of that thread and see if I can find any solutions.

My laptop has Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.

Jul 30, 2020
Huzzah!

You set me on the right path. Googled my network adapter with the powerline adapter and discovered that the powerline adapter only supports up to 100Mbps Ethernet so I changed from 1Gbmps configuration and it worked!

Leaving the answer here for others in future. Thanks for your help.