Question Powerline adapters not working and Netgear Switches ?

Jan 15, 2021
I recently upgraded to gigabit fibre at home in the UK . To ensure i got the best speed possible to all my wire capable devices I decided to run Cat 6 caves [cables?] across the house (none are longer than 30m)

I have a vodafone home router which then has 1 Netgear Nighthawk EX7700 and a EX8000 running in AP mode (for Wifi extension and both have wired devices device plugged into it) and apple Time machine and then I have 4 GS305 /8 port managed switches connected across the house.

Everything is working fine and getting good speeds as I wanted but then our home alarm system had to be changed as I no longer have a PSTN line and it has to go via the fibre. I again wanted this hardwired as not wanting to share my wifi password with the alarm company. Due to the location they wanted to fit TP Link PA4010 UK power line extenders. They communicate with each other and are paired but then when I try to ping the router (when one of them is directly connected into the port) pings are intermittent but then if I put in an external address it will not respond. Also when pinging internal devices via the power line the latency is huge at 98ms. Then plugged the power line into one of the switches with the same result or even worse. I thought I read somewhere that power line adapters can have the same IP address as some routers? Tried pairing them both side by side and the pairing worked but then when moved other sockets no responses. Even tried disabling firewall temporarily on the Vodafone router

Have also tried other Devolo 500mpbs powerlines. (these have 2 ports on and when i connect the power line to a switch and then plug my laptop into the other port it works fine but then pair the other adapter and plug into that and again no response to internal or external pings etc)

Tried factory resetting both sets of powerlines, checked that I have no other power line adapters plugged in anywhere and had a look at all the switches and all appears ok. We have now had to move the Alarm system closer to one of the netgear switches and it's working fine but wanted to understand why the hell power line is now not working (the devolo's used to work before I hard wired the house but would not go above 300mbps hence why i went the route I have)

If you were getting 300mbps on the devolo I am very impressed......even more so since they only have 100mbps ports.

TPLINK scammed you. Those units are actually the same technology as the delovo units. They used to be called av500 but when the new AV2 standard came out that is based on av2-600 and av2-1200 they just changed the name to av600. They assume most people will not notice there is not a "2" in the name. They didn't even change the actual part number. You can still find links to the old av500 units with the same part number used for av600.

There is not much you can configure on powerline. They will connect and transfer at whatever rate they can get. All you can really do is try other outlet.

The newer av2 stuff works much better because it uses the grounding wire in addition to the power leads to carry signal. Now even though most are av2-600 and av2-1200 they call these av2-1000 and av2-2000 mostly because 1 vendor has a different power line technology and is calling their stuff 1000 and 2000.

If you have tv coax you might consider moca. Moca can actually get 1gbit. If nothing else you can buy a wifi repeater/extender and run it as a wifi client. This will let you plug a ethernet cable into the device without giving out your password.

Reactions: SamirD
Jan 15, 2021
The devolo app was saying 376 between both the units but yes are right they only have 100mbps ports. I’m ok with the speeds as it’s only needed for the Alarm monitor but what I can’t figure out is why I can’t get onto the internet when trying to use these. Can intermittently ping local devices and the router but cannot ping or connect to anything outside via the wan.
I’ve got round it by not using them but the intrigue in me wants to figure out why the hell neither work. The Tp links were free from the alarm supplier so not to worried that they aren’t great.

Jan 15, 2021
I thought they too but even when all the switches weren’t connected to the router still had the same issue when the powerlines were connected directly to the router. Even disabled the firewall briefly and reset my dns from the google ones I had setup on the router.

I thought they too but even when all the switches weren’t connected to the router still had the same issue when the powerlines were connected directly to the router. Even disabled the firewall briefly and reset my dns from the google ones I had setup on the router.
That is strange--I know that if anything changes on the power circuits that can mess with powerline pretty bad. I wonder if whoever wired your ethernet somehow messed with the power lines (common ground?)?