[SOLVED] Powerline adapters vs. other means for full WiFi coverage of home and property?

Swamp_Yankee

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
I am looking to blanket my home and a good chunk of my property (the backyard and porch/patio area immediately adjacent) with seamless WiFi coverage (same SSID and password) as I have a couple of different uses for it. First, we spend a lot of time on our patio and deck in nice weather so I have an Alexa Input connected to an old Pioneer amplifier and speakers in my tool shed which has electric via an underground feed from the house-I also tend to play music over the speakers whenever I'm working outside. Right now the Input gets a WiFi signal from the WiFi router provided by our ISP (CenturyLink 10Mbps DSL-we are out in the sticks so that's the best we can get) which is fine most of the time, but every one in a while the signal drops out for some unknown reason. Usually a reset of the router, Input, or both will fix the problem, but its annoying and I think a stronger signal would likely fix it. Next, I recently picked up a set of Bluetooth ear protection headphones so that I can still listen to music when I'm mowing, blowing, weedwhacking, etc...so it would be nice to stream Pandora or Spotify via WiFi while doing so. Finally, we have a chicken coop in the back which I am considering adding a WiFi camera to so that I can easily monitor for predators, etc...without actually going out there. The chicken coop, like the toolshed has an underground electrical feed from the house. The following is a sketch of the property showing the orientation of the various buildings and distances between them:

T1rBfXf.jpg

Obviously the best way to create multiple access points would be to locate maybe two different WiFi routers (one being the ISP supplied router/modem) in the house connected by Cat5 cable, and then by locating WiFi routers in the tool shed and chicken coop (connected by Cat5 as well), but running the Cat5 underground would be a PITA that I'd like to avoid. The electrical lines that run to those buildings currently seem to be just direct-bury wire, so its not as if there is a conduit I could just fish another line through. I did find some direct-bury Cat5 online, but again, if I could avoid digging a trench, laying wire, filling it all back in, fixing the grass, etc...I'd like to. To that end I've been researching powerline adapters quite a bit and the reviews seem to be all over the place with regard to speed and reliability. I've also heard a lot of conflicting information about how much speed degradation results from the signal having to travel through a circuit on one leg of the panel to a circuit on the opposite leg. Some users report no issue whatsoever, and some report speeds so slow that the network is unusable. I'd love to see some real world accounts here since I have built-in electrical infrastructure. Another thing that I haven't been able to figure out is that assuming I go with a powerline adapter system and end up installing two different access points in the tool shed and chicken coop, will I be able to use the same SSID and password for each in order to create a seamless network? I know that there are a few other settings that need to be tweaked so that the access points do not conflict with each other.

Finally, with regard to speed degradation, it should be noted that the network I'm looking to create will really only be used to stream music and so that I can do email while sitting outside and having a drink after work. Its not as if I'll be trying to stream 4K TV or game online. That said, since I'm starting with 10Mbps I don't have a lot of speed to lose...

Swamp_Yankee

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
Which of the structures besides the house have power?

Both the toolshed and the chicken coop have power which is fed from the house. This is why I considered utilizing powerline WiFi adapters.

The distances you have listed are not so great that burying ethernet cable would be impractical. POE powered outdoor access points could provide what you want.

I know that the distances aren't impractical, I just wanted to avoid that project if possible by utilizing the buried electrical lines to the outbuildings to provide both power and data transfer.

kanewolf

Titan
Use a simple grass edger to put a 3 inch deep slit in the yard. That is all that is required to bury a direct-burial ethernet cable. You may be able to get by with two outdoor APs. On on the house and one on the coop. Buy an outdoor AP, run an ethernet cable across the yard and do a wireless survey. That is the only way to determine how many APs you will need.

Swamp_Yankee

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
Use a simple grass edger to put a 3 inch deep slit in the yard. That is all that is required to bury a direct-burial ethernet cable. You may be able to get by with two outdoor APs. On on the house and one on the coop. Buy an outdoor AP, run an ethernet cable across the yard and do a wireless survey. That is the only way to determine how many APs you will need.

A couple of stupid questions: First, is something like this what I need?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N2RO63U/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Next, since I already know I need more than one, can these function with the same SSID/password so that wireless devices can move between them seamlessly?