[SOLVED] Powerline Adaptors with WiFi - Advice & Recommendations

Jul 11, 2020
Hi all - complete noob to the group, so I hope I’m posting in the correct place!

I’m in the U.K. My house has some fairly thick walls and is struggling with WiFi, so I’ve been advised that Powerline adaptors could be a good solution.

We have a simple WiFi set up with an EE modem in the middle of the house (speeds up to 38mbps) and numerous devices around the house that use WiFi - Tv’s, laptops etc.

I’m new to Powerline adaptors, but I understand that there are two main types;

1) Ones that only connect to devices by ethernet cable, and;

2) Ones that also have WiFi ability to so devices in that room could connect to the adaptor over WiFi?

I’m guessing would need the 2nd type with WiFi and am looking for recommendations from experienced guys like yourselves?

Thanks!

Solution
Hi all - complete noob to the group, so I hope I’m posting in the correct place!

I’m in the U.K. My house has some fairly thick walls and is struggling with WiFi, so I’ve been advised that Powerline adaptors could be a good solution.

We have a simple WiFi set up with an EE modem in the middle of the house (speeds up to 38mbps) and numerous devices around the house that use WiFi - Tv’s, laptops etc.

2) Ones that also have WiFi ability to so devices in that room could connect to the adaptor over WiFi?

I’m guessing would need the 2nd type with WiFi and am looking for recommendations from...

kanewolf

Titan

I’m guessing would need the 2nd type with WiFi and am looking for recommendations from experienced guys like yourselves?

Thanks!
If you can, move stationary devices, like TVs to a wired connection to the powerline adapters. Limit WIFI use to devices that NEED it like phones and laptops.
If you have any old routers, you can use them as your WIFI source. There is a wider variety of powerline adapters that are wired only. When you search for them, look for the keywords "MIMO" and "AV2" .

Solution
Jul 11, 2020
If you can, move stationary devices, like TVs to a wired connection to the powerline adapters. Limit WIFI use to devices that NEED it like phones and laptops.
If you have any old routers, you can use them as your WIFI source. There is a wider variety of powerline adapters that are wired only. When you search for them, look for the keywords "MIMO" and "AV2" .

That’s a good point! Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS