Powerline and wi-fi together

rodcy53

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016
I have my main Windows 7 PC connected to my broadband by Powerline. I want to connect to my Sony music amp/streamer which is on my wi-fi network. Can I use a wi-fi dongle along with the Powerline on the PC simultaneously or is it a choice of one or the other?
Many thanks
Rod

Solution
If your wireless is using the same router, you may just need to change the security settings on your PC. I would try sharing a folder on the PC with the entire network by right clicking on a folder (one with the music) and selecting properties, then you need to set two tabs -- sharing and security. The easiest thing to do is to create a new sharing group called "Everyone," which allow all other devices on the network to see the share.

RealBeast

Titan
You should be able to use the two together, and you can even bridge the networks in the network control panel of the PC by highlighting both adapters, right click, and then select bridge connection.

Powerline adapters are usually just set up as a connection replacing an Ethernet cable in a single network. I often use them to attach a distant access point when a cable is not possible.

If you can provide further details about how your powerline and wireless networks are configured, I can probably give you a more precise answer.

rodcy53

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016
Thanks I'll try that . The powerline goes from my ethernet port to the router so the PC it connects isn't seen by the other devices using wi-fi connections. As I said I want to have it seen by my Sony amp/streamer so I can play music stored on it. Thanks again for your very quick reply.
Rod

RealBeast

Titan
If your wireless is using the same router, you may just need to change the security settings on your PC. I would try sharing a folder on the PC with the entire network by right clicking on a folder (one with the music) and selecting properties, then you need to set two tabs -- sharing and security. The easiest thing to do is to create a new sharing group called "Everyone," which allow all other devices on the network to see the share.

Solution