[SOLVED] Powerline causing supposed 70Mbp/s speeds to cap at 10 down and 20 up

lukeskywoolner

Reputable
Sep 22, 2017
My powerline adapters have been acting weirdly ever since I got them. When i moved my pc to my room the speeds have been the same (in a speed test it is capping at 10Mbps and my upload is roughly 20) and never even reaching "normal speeds" (around 3mbps) in game updates. I am using the TP-Link Model: PA4030 AV500. Is this because of the wiring in my house or is this just an old powerline adapter?

Edit: There IS a kitchen between the router and my room but my room is the newest in the house. How would I be able to tell if it is going through the kitchens cabling? Also in task manager when I updated something it would say 70Mbps and in steam it would be going around 1.3Mbps (lets say i was updating something in steam.)
I have just done an update now task manager says 10Mbps and steam still says 1.3 peak, it seems it has gotten worse :(

Last edited:
Solution
They are both old and it could be a wiring issue.

It is not likely the kitchen. Wires run from each room back to the power panel. Kitchen in particular have dedicated circuits because of electrical code requirements and they also have things like CFGI outlets. The only way the signal would go into the kitchen is if you plugged once of you adapters in the kitchen.

I would test with both units in the same room so you can see what best case is going to be. You might get 70 in that configuration but av500 units generally you see a max of about 50 in more common distances.

The newer av2 units work better. The av2-1200 units can get say 150mbps on average but no way to say for sure.

There is not much you can really do with...

It is not likely the kitchen. Wires run from each room back to the power panel. Kitchen in particular have dedicated circuits because of electrical code requirements and they also have things like CFGI outlets. The only way the signal would go into the kitchen is if you plugged once of you adapters in the kitchen.

I would test with both units in the same room so you can see what best case is going to be. You might get 70 in that configuration but av500 units generally you see a max of about 50 in more common distances.

The newer av2 units work better. The av2-1200 units can get say 150mbps on average but no way to say for sure.

There is not much you can really do with powerline units. There are no settings really. Something is likely interfering. What you could do is turn off the all the circuit breakers except for the 2 rooms. I would turn everything even things like dishwashers and heaters off. Unplug anything in those rooms that is unnecessary. The goal is to try to find what is causing the issue if possible

Once you find it you may or may not be able to fix it. On some thing you can try to put a surge protection power strip between the device and the outlet. Surge protectors can filter noise.

Still somethings you can do nothing about. I have a shop vac that can kill powerline units any place in the house as soon as you turn it on.

Reactions: lukeskywoolner
Solution

lukeskywoolner

Reputable
Sep 22, 2017

There is not much you can really do with powerline units. There are no settings really. Something is likely interfering. What you could do is turn off the all the circuit breakers except for the 2 rooms. I would turn everything even things like dishwashers and heaters off. Unplug anything in those rooms that is unnecessary. The goal is to try to find what is causing the issue if possible

Once you find it you may or may not be able to fix it. On some thing you can try to put a surge protection power strip between the device and the outlet. Surge protectors can filter noise.

Still somethings you can do nothing about. I have a shop vac that can kill powerline units any place in the house as soon as you turn it on.
I will try to see what speeds I get with in the same room but nothing else in my house has an ethernet port other than this huge PC sitting next to me. I am thinking of buying some newer adapters as I pulled these out of a random box (what ones would you reccomend) As for turning of all the circuit breakers that would be very difficult as I am quite young and would have to wait until I am alone, but I will try turning off various plugs in the two rooms and see if that has any effect, also I thought surge protector power strips made powerlines worse?

lukeskywoolner

Reputable
Sep 22, 2017
They do make them worse and that is why you plug stuff that is NOT powerline into them. You hope they filter out the signal from the device causing the problem.

The best units are av2-1200. This list is better than most but you have to be careful. Even they say you may not get the same results in your house.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/powerline/view
Thanks, I think I will buy some better powerline adapters, also I just found out that the powerline next to the router is plugged into one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eagle-2-Way-Socket-Splitter-Adaptor-white/dp/B000L1MUME I think this may be slowing it down as I tried to fast charge my phone through one of these and it didn't. That's probably the root of the problem

lukeskywoolner

Reputable
Sep 22, 2017
They do make them worse and that is why you plug stuff that is NOT powerline into them. You hope they filter out the signal from the device causing the problem.

The best units are av2-1200. This list is better than most but you have to be careful. Even they say you may not get the same results in your house.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/powerline/view
Moving the powerline adapter to the wall plug didnt affect much, I think i will buy a new set and if that doesn't work i can always send them back. https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRENDnet-TPL-420E2K-Powerline-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00JIVZVNS?th=1 Would these be the best as they have AV2?

Don't know the numbers on homeplug which is the standard av2 is based on say 600 and 1200. Not sure why they are calling them 500 if it is AV2. Then again tplink changed the part number for their TL-PA4010P that used to be called 500 and now call them 600. I have never figured out if these are different units or not.

The key advantage the av2 give is that it uses the grounding wire also which solves the passing over circuit breaker issue better.

There are 2 types of av2 siso which most times is called 600 and mimo which is 1200. But there are a bunch that say 1000 and claim it is siso. I have not needed powerline stuff so I have not spent the time to actually read the technical homeplug standards.

Not sure what to recommend.

lukeskywoolner

Reputable
Sep 22, 2017
Don't know the numbers on homeplug which is the standard av2 is based on say 600 and 1200. Not sure why they are calling them 500 if it is AV2. Then again tplink changed the part number for their TL-PA4010P that used to be called 500 and now call them 600. I have never figured out if these are different units or not.

The key advantage the av2 give is that it uses the grounding wire also which solves the passing over circuit breaker issue better.

There are 2 types of av2 siso which most times is called 600 and mimo which is 1200. But there are a bunch that say 1000 and claim it is siso. I have not needed powerline stuff so I have not spent the time to actually read the technical homeplug standards.

Not sure what to recommend.
Good news, The TP-Link TL-PA8010KIT solved the issues and the speeds are what I expect

Reactions: bdginmo