Powerline Ethernet Adapter Connection Issue

nebula828

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014
I am trying to get my household internet connection out to a pole building using powerline ethernet adapters. I recently purchased a pair of Treadnet Powerline 500 AV2 adapters for the task. The power for the pole building is on a 100A 240V breaker in the breaker box in the house. Power is supplied via 350 ft of underground powerline. The documentation specifies that the devices can communicate over 900+ ft of powerline. All outlets involved are connected through the same breaker box.

So far, for some reason, I have been unable to get my powerline adapters to connect between the buildings. I have made sure of all the basics: no surge protectors, no extension cords, no GFI outlets, no nearby fluorescent lights on nor power-hungry appliances or computers. I have tried both legs of the 240 V phase. In the pole building, the power comes directly into the bus terminals in the breaker box: no main breaker. The adapters will connect when they're plugged in within the house. Also, curiously, they will connect between the house and another barn that is 300 ft away powered from the same breaker box on another 100A 240V breaker. But for the real mystery, the devices can connect when one is in the barn and one is in the pole building, with a total of 650 ft of powerline in between. So it's not a range issue. Is there some form of interference I could be overlooking?

Regards,
Ethan

Solution
I think you are better off with the WiFi extender.

The other way to do this is with fiberoptic which has a longer range than Ethernet if you get the right gear.
It does not sound like you are overlooking anything. You confirmed that they worked on another circuit, but these powerline adapters either work- or not. In other words, after the basics, there is little to troubleshoot here.

This is a longer distance you are trying to connect, and your options at this point are to try WiFi with a pair of external antennae, or to run the CAT 5e outside. With the wired connection, you will likely need a repeater to boost the signal.

nebula828

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014
Thanks. Sorry for the delay in viewing your response. I appreciate your input and I think we'll end up looking at the wifi range extender option. I am a little curious whether a different brand powerline adapter will give me just that little bit extra range I need, but I will start looking into that on my own.

Regards

fred3

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Ethernet communication is limited to 100 meters (328 feet) because of time delay. I don't see any way around that.
Ethernet is the signalling mechanism for the computers when using powerline adapters.
So, if the powerline adapter can do 900+ feet, I'm not sure what that means. I suspect this means the carrier integral to the powerline signal. In other words, the carrier will work at 900 feet to carry signals on top of it. But if the signal on top of it is Ethernet then there's no way to eliminate the time delays that demand a max length of 100 meters.

This is not to say that a particular link that's beyond that specification will not work. It just may. But, one is asking for curious results.

Just to make sure:
House to pole building is 350 feet under ground and "x" feet more at the ends.
House to barn is 300 feet .
Using the same cables from pole building to barn is 650 feet.

Connections work:
From the house to the barn.
From the barn to the pole building.
But not from the house to the pole building.
Is that right?

Apparently you're using 3 adapters, one for each building. Is that right?
One might expect that the connection in the house is compromised by the two links (adapters in the other 2 buildings) and the barn wins.
What happens if the barn adapter isn't connected?
Because of your results so far, it sounds like the issue is in the house - I'm assuming that the barn and pole building communicate via a connection at the house but not so much *in* the house while the signals in the house have to traverse wires there that are unique to the house data connections.