[SOLVED] Powerline is not consistant

jessestreak

Prominent
Jul 11, 2018
Hi, so i recently got fibre. Its a 50mb line and router is upstairs. We installed a powerline connection and if i plug it into the wall socket downstairs I get around 30mb which im happy with.

Although my conection is not consistent with latency at all it jumps from 39ms to 999 then back down while gaming and just cuts out sometimes.

It is directly into the wall via an single double adapter.

Im not too sure if it's normal or not but the powerline LED on the slave adapter does come on and off the whole time

Ive reset it a couple of times and i have tried it around the house with no prevail.

I would love some tips to get it consistent

Solution
I've experienced the same problem with my powerline adapter. This is very common with other users as well. Almost all powerline adapters no matter the brand have a power saving function. In reality what this means is, the internet turns off intermittently everyday. Depending on the brand, you might be able to download a tool from the manufacturer's website that will let you manually turn off the power saving mode function. Updating the firmware has also helped some people.

The only fool-proof method that works for me is by pinging my default gateway. This keeps the internet connection active.

I've set it to run automatically as soon as my PC turns on by doing the following:
  1. If you're using Windows, go to Administrative...

RealBeast

Titan
Either the "slave" adapter is defective, your wiring has issues if it is very old, or there is a strong source of interference very near the "slave" adapter -- on the same circuit close to that outlet (electric motor, florescent light, etc.).

The connection light should stay constant. Latency spikes are unusual except when a unit is defective, even with interference.

What model is your powerline pair?

Nov 25, 2019
I've experienced the same problem with my powerline adapter. This is very common with other users as well. Almost all powerline adapters no matter the brand have a power saving function. In reality what this means is, the internet turns off intermittently everyday. Depending on the brand, you might be able to download a tool from the manufacturer's website that will let you manually turn off the power saving mode function. Updating the firmware has also helped some people.

The only fool-proof method that works for me is by pinging my default gateway. This keeps the internet connection active.

I've set it to run automatically as soon as my PC turns on by doing the following:
  1. If you're using Windows, go to Administrative Tools > Task Scheduler > Create Basic Task...
  2. Enter any Name and click Next >
  3. Select When I log on and click Next >
  4. Select Start a program and click Next >
  5. In Program/script: enter ping and in Add arguments (optional): enter -t <address> where <address> is the IP address of your default gateway
  6. Click Finish
  7. You can start the task immediately by going to Task Scheduler Library, right-click your created task, and click Run
You can also run the file manually:
  1. Open a text editor such as notepad
  2. Type the following: ping -t 192.168.1.1
Except replace 192.168.1.1 with your own default gateway address.

How to find your default gateway:

3. Save the file as a bat file. So, the extension would be .bat instead of .txt. Double click the file to run. As long as it runs, the connection won't die.

Solution