Powerline Issue with Gaming (ping spikes) and Streaming Television

sgriffin96

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
So my father just installed a Netgear Powerline 1200. My computer is plugged into the router via ethernet, and they are using the powerline to stream television in a different room. When they used to do this on wifi, I had no ping issues, but since he has installed this, I have been getting constant ping spikes. I never got ping spikes when they streamed when they used wifi, so would it be the powerline that is causing this? My father and I both have little experience with network problems like this.

Solution
What is your ISP plan, what upload/download. What quality is the streaming video, HD?

From your computer run both speedtest.net and pingtest.net while he is streaming video and post the results.

Since you are attached by a cable your issue must be due to his streaming using too much bandwidth.

RealBeast

Titan
What is your ISP plan, what upload/download. What quality is the streaming video, HD?

From your computer run both speedtest.net and pingtest.net while he is streaming video and post the results.

Since you are attached by a cable your issue must be due to his streaming using too much bandwidth.

Solution