[SOLVED] Powerline issue.

sufyanmess007

Reputable
Aug 24, 2017
I recently have had an 85 mbps powerline adapter, and i was getting speeds of 300kbps whilst downloads, i now have bought a 1000mbps netgear PL1000 powerlines and yet i still get 700KBp which is awful, the powerlines are not plugged into am extension cable however there is a plug next to it that powers the extension cable, im not sure what to do as im still getting 700kbps with 1000mbps powerlines ;(

Solution
You'll need to find some way of troubleshooting the issue. Do you have access to a laptop with an ethernet or USB/Ethernet adapter? That will greatly speed the troubleshooting process since you can you move one powerline unit to various different outlets in your home and observe the results of a speedtest.

Some things to keep in mind...

• LED lighting can cause interference.
  • Motor loads (like compressors, treadmills, etc.) can cause interference.
  • GFCI outlets or circuit breakers can cause issues.
  • AFCI outlets or circuit breakers can cause issues.
  • Speeds are typically reduced when the endpoints are on different circuits.
  • Speeds are typically reduced when the endpoints are on different legs/phases.
  • Speeds are...
There is nothing you can really set on those device your only real option is to try other outlets. They work well for most people but some houses seem to cause issues.

I suppose it maybe worth the time to verify that it is really the powerline units. Test with your PC directly cabled to the router. You can also try both powerline units in the same room as your router which will be the best possible speed.

sufyanmess007

Reputable
Aug 24, 2017
There is nothing you can really set on those device your only real option is to try other outlets. They work well for most people but some houses seem to cause issues.

I suppose it maybe worth the time to verify that it is really the powerline units. Test with your PC directly cabled to the router. You can also try both powerline units in the same room as your router which will be the best possible speed.

I can't really do that as I have 3 floors and my desktop is on the third and the router is on the 1st, i dont really know what to do :/

Feb 13, 2019
You'll need to find some way of troubleshooting the issue. Do you have access to a laptop with an ethernet or USB/Ethernet adapter? That will greatly speed the troubleshooting process since you can you move one powerline unit to various different outlets in your home and observe the results of a speedtest.

Some things to keep in mind...

• LED lighting can cause interference.
  • Motor loads (like compressors, treadmills, etc.) can cause interference.
  • GFCI outlets or circuit breakers can cause issues.
  • AFCI outlets or circuit breakers can cause issues.
  • Speeds are typically reduced when the endpoints are on different circuits.
  • Speeds are typically reduced when the endpoints are on different legs/phases.
  • Speeds are typically reduced when the wire length between the endpoints is too long.

You really need to plug both units into non-GFCI outlets on the same circuit in the same room with no other devices running on the circuit so that you can get a baseline expectation of maximum throughput.

In my home these units average about 80-100 mbps with a range of about 20-250 mbps depending on several factors. Surprisingly the newer Leviton GFCI outlets don't seem to have much impact on my speeds. However, running my treadmill can drop throughput from 120 mbps to 20 mbps instantly.

The fact that you're getting < 1 mbps is a bit unusual. Let us know what you find out.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Solution

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I spent a few hundred dollars on powerline units over the winter only to find they didn't work at all. Found out after the fact that I have too many breakers in my circuit box, which apparently means too many phases, which apparently means, don't buy powerline adapters. :(

TRENDING THREADS