[SOLVED] Powerline network adapter or network wireless card?

brom2855

Reputable
Apr 12, 2018
Working on a PC my younger siblings will use for online classes. After discussing needs with Mom, realized I'm not sure about the wireless connection. IT classes say internet via power outlet or wireless network card are my options, but unsure which to choose from, so asking your experience. Mine is that either is highly reliable, but am a bit concerned about the signal being visible to potential hackers.

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk

PSU: PowerSpec 430W (80+ rating)

OS (to install later): Windows 10 64-bit.

Not 100% of her router, think it's a LinkSys brand, but will find out when visit tonight. Know for sure it's DSL. Believe it has up to 4 devices connected at most, but family's flexible about smartphone use, so that won't be an issue.

If need further details please LMK and I add to this OP.

Appreciate the help!

Solution
Powerline can be a great solution, but really depends on the quality/age of the electrical wiring in the home - along with the length of the circuit.

Wifi will depend on the location of the system and the range of the Router/AP.

Both will add some level of overhead to the actual wired speeds that can be achieved.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Powerline can be a great solution, but really depends on the quality/age of the electrical wiring in the home - along with the length of the circuit.

Wifi will depend on the location of the system and the range of the Router/AP.

Both will add some level of overhead to the actual wired speeds that can be achieved.

Solution

brom2855

Reputable
Apr 12, 2018
"online classes".

Will this be from home?
What type/speed of connection do you have?
Yes, it's from home. Mom's unsure, but it's a Charter connection and pretty fast.

Anyway, she found there's a wired connection I can use, so guess this thread's no longer necessary. Appreciate the help!