Question Powerline Options/Recommendations

taliesyn

Honorable
Apr 21, 2017
Hi -- I connect my PC using a TP-Link Powerline (TL-PA2010KIT AV200 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter kit). The powerline drops the connection periodically; usually I just unplug and plug in the powerline in order to establish a connection. This is not too big of a deal, although it is a bit inconvenient. I was wondering if the community has other recommendations that I should considerwhen connecting my pc to the internet (without an ethernet option). Also, will purchasing a new powerline kit likely provide me with a more reliable connection?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

The Netgear PL1200 is what I have. But the top three listed here are all the same chipset and interoperable (or therhetically should be as they are based on the same standard)

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/powerline/view

That said, I use them as a last resort. I never get over 80 mbps throughput IF I'm lucky. Major review sites say the same thing.

MOCA adapters might work better. Supposedly they work up to 1Gbps. I would imagine they work even better if you DON'T use Cable TV on that Coax.

There is a huge difference in speed and stability between the av200 and the current technology based on av2. Still there are those houses that just refuse to run any form of powerline. The newer tech has less issues with the power panel breakers because it also uses the ground wire to send signals.