[SOLVED] Powerline or wifi

Duje Gunjaca

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
Hello, I need some help in making a choice between investing in a router and reciver or powerline. I know ethernet is the best but there is just no way to get ethernet to my room from my router/modem which is located on the other end of my apartment. So I was thinking which would be better investing in a decent aftermarket router and a pcie reciver (both added together about 100usd) or a decent powerline adapter. I need internet for online gaming so the lower the ping the better but most imporantly i want stability, my current wifi doesnt have bad ping but sometimes it just goes crazy with spikes and drives me mad. I live in a building complex (bulit in the early 90's) so there are a lot of people around me and the net saturation is high. But powerline concerns me cause i have no clue how power is ran in the building cause people often cut corners and all and my pc like i said is on the other side of the house so i have no clue how the eletrical splits/breakers are handeled. Any advice and recommendations are appriciated.

Solution
Buy powerline based on AV2 standards it works much better than the older av200 and av500.

How the power is run in the building makes little difference since I suspect your apartment has its own breaker box and power meter. This means no cables leave your apartment.

Most apartments are fairly small so even if the units are on different breakers or phases it likely will still work. The newer av2 stuff has much less issues with crossing over circuit breakers.

Unfortunately there is no way to know for sure if powerline will work. There are some very new houses that use certain brands of the new required arc fault breakers that completely block the signals.

In general powerline will be superior to wifi for games. Wifi can...
Buy powerline based on AV2 standards it works much better than the older av200 and av500.

How the power is run in the building makes little difference since I suspect your apartment has its own breaker box and power meter. This means no cables leave your apartment.

Most apartments are fairly small so even if the units are on different breakers or phases it likely will still work. The newer av2 stuff has much less issues with crossing over circuit breakers.

Unfortunately there is no way to know for sure if powerline will work. There are some very new houses that use certain brands of the new required arc fault breakers that completely block the signals.

In general powerline will be superior to wifi for games. Wifi can run faster at times but games do not need the speed and the random spikes of interference on wifi do not make up for the game downloading patches faster.

Reactions: Duje Gunjaca
Solution

Duje Gunjaca

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014

In general powerline will be superior to wifi for games. Wifi can run faster at times but games do not need the speed and the random spikes of interference on wifi do not make up for the game downloading patches faster.
Guessing av2 makes a huge difference then. Thanks for the info.

TRENDING THREADS