Question powerline plus switches

fatalsign

Reputable
May 26, 2015
Hello, i'd like to hear your recommendations about how this will work better.
I have, 1 set of powerlines,2 ethernet switches and 2 rooms with internet thirsty devices. Room A and Room B. room a is far from router and has 3 devices which need internet. room b is close to the router and has 2 devices which need internet. in room A i'd prefer avoiding cables at all to the router,but i dont mind that for room B. Help me how to make the connections please. Router's wan to powerline entrance and then powerline exit to switch close to the devices in room a? and then 3 ethernets from the switch to the devices i want to supply with internet? room B would work with a cable from router's lan to the switch and then 2 ehternets from the switch to the devices in the room?

Feb 13, 2019
For room B run an ethernet cable from a LAN port on the router to a switch that you place in room B. You can plug your devices into the switch as well.

For room A you'll use the powerline adapters. Place one adapter near the router and plug it into a LAN port. Place the other adapter in room A and plug it into a port a switch that you also place in that room. You can plug your other devices into the same switch as well.

When using the powerline adapters experiment with different placements of the adapter in different outlets to see which combinations of outlets provide the best balance of performance and convenience. Powerline adapters are notoriously sensitive to interference that may be problematic on one outlet but not another. Your mileage could vary greatly depending on which outlets you choose to plug the adapters into.

As a general rule it is preferable to use ethernet cabling whenever possible. If that is not an option the next best thing is to use coax cabling via MoCA adapters. Powerline adapters are usually the last resort. And depending on what kind of investment you already have in WiFi access points and your ability to run ethernet cables to them WiFi could end up being faster and more reliable than powerline adapters.

Reactions: fatalsign